Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

Nosler Brass

I just bought a box of 300rum brass, the price was higher than what I have paid before for remington brass but I thought I would give it a try . Nosler states this brass is trimmed, chamfered, and weight sorted and ready to load out of the box. The brass was all a consistent length and the weights were pretty close, but the case mouths on at least 10 were dinged up, and none of them had been outside chamfered and all had little lips of brass around the outside of the case mouth.

I have had good luck with using nosler bullets for many years, but I was a little disapointed in the finish on thier brass especially for the price. Does anyone else have any experience with thier brass? Is what I found normal for thier brass?
Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Nosler Brass

It is normal for mouths to be dinged up a little from shipping and handling. The tiny lip on the outside isnt much to worry about unless youre using a very tight chamber. Nosler brass is about the best I have used for the 300 RUM. The remington brass is OK but the weight variences are bad and primer pockets get loose faster in remmy brass. I am not saying Nolser brass is awesome, just that it is better than the alternative. I have yet to find any excellent brass for the 300 RUM.

The things I did like about the Nosler brass was the weight to weight consistency and the fact that the flash holes are de-burred so that I dont have to do it.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

It wasn't really a big deal to give them a quick chamfer, but they are not quite ready to load out of the box as advertised. I also had to run 3 of them thru a sizing die as the case mouth was squished in, I would have thought the box they came in would protect them a little better than the bag rem brass comes in. But I didn't get any reject cases with the nosler brass, I usually get 3-4 rejects in a bag of rem brass.

Wouldn't the little lip on the brass case the case to be slightly off when seating bullets and end up with more bullet runout? I try and keep all my loads to .001 or less runout.

I hope this brass works as well as the rem brass has for me. It seems like the nosler brass gets mixed reviews on forums all the time. It might be a little bit before they get tested as most places I can order from (in canada) seem to be out of the 200gr accubond I usually use.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

I bought some 300rum and necked it down for my 7mmrum. It is much better than the rem. I am shooting 180 bergers at 3140fps and so far the primer pockets are holding up. The rem brass 2 loadings at the most and the primer pockets were gone. It may not be as good as norma or lapur both so far it's the best I have found. Dan
Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

I will never spend good money for another piece of nosler brass, IMO its junk, won't handle pressures nearly as well as rem. and will not hold a candle to win. thats my experience with what I purchased. search for FIFTYDRIVER's post on nosler 300 RUM brass his opinion mirrors mine.
RR
Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

Hopefully Hornady, Norma or Lapua (especially Lapua) will start making 300 RUM brass. Maybe if we all started calling and emailing them to do so they will? I heard a rumor that Lapua might start making it. That would be great.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
I will never spend good money for another piece of nosler brass, IMO its junk, won't handle pressures nearly as well as rem. and will not hold a candle to win. thats my experience with what I purchased. search for FIFTYDRIVER's post on nosler 300 RUM brass his opinion mirrors mine.
RR

+1 on the pressure issue. Wouldn't hold pressure as well as Rem brass. It was pretty, though.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl