Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Ballistic Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nosler Ballistic Tips

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]On the Nosler BT's I have never chased so, many,deer in my entire life!Using BT"S in 6mm,6.5,7mmag,270 and 30cal. I have 11 unopened factory sealed boxes in these caibers for sale if anyone is interested.I reall would not use them again.I never had this problem with the Rem.,win.fed.P.P.,S.P. etc.All shots were placed behind the shoulder.I killed a6pt. with the 7mag.first shot right behind the shoulder.He ran in front of me and stumbled in a fire lane and I shot him in the neck,I even seen the hair fly when the bullet hit.I still chased that deer another 100YRDS. Good luck,but as some have already said there are better bullets for deer.That's first hand experience.RLB2,in N.C. These deer were less than 100 yard shots.This bullet travels too fast for GOOD terminal performance.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:55 PM

FatBoy,

Based on my own killing of whitetail deer here in PA this is what I have determined.

I use a 300 win mag and a 180gr Ballistic tip.

In the past 4 years (using that combo) I have killed 3 deer at 420 yards, 1 at 400 yards, 1 at 380 yards, 1 at 320 yards, 1 at 250 yards and 1 at 75 yards. None of the deer went further then 30 yards.

One doe that I shot at 420 yards was quartering away, shot just ahead of the left rump. The bullet went all the way thru the deer (diagonally) and exited just to the left of the right leg, breaking the leg as it exited. That deer somehow belly crawled 30 yards. Another I killed (broadside) at 420 yards was a spine shot and the exit hole was about 3" in diameter. The only deer shot (listed here) where the bullet did not go all the way thru was killed at 75 yards. That deer was airborne when I shot, the bullet entered just behind the right leg and it was slightly going away from me. The bullet went thru both lungs and broke the left shoulder/leg area from the inside but the bullet did not go thru the deer. That deer never went another step. In fact it fell over sideways never to go anywhere.

These are "MY" actual results - others may vary.

As far as using this combo on elk,,,, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.
I would "place" my shot though - or I wouldn't squeeze the trigger.

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to share your expierence with me. The BT's seem to be a fine bullet for smallish type whitetail. The one deer I took last year was almost certainly dead before she hit the ground. (25' away, neck shot just below the head,, not even a twitch w/ 90gr BT in a 243win)

I'm considering using the 142SMK in the 6.5x284 to hunt a bean field I may have access to this year. Looks like we'll have 75 acres across. That should provide a pretty decent long range shot. I haven't tried anything but the SMK's in the 6.5x284, but on paper they would seem to have plenty of ass left at 500 yards, which is about as far as I feel comfortable with off the range. (with rangefinder).

The 165 BT will be used in 308 this year, as well as the 90gr's previously mensioned for hunting in the thick under 150 yards. It's nice to be able to use a 6 lbs rifle to pick your spot and know you can hold offand as long as you need to. NOT possible with a 15lb rifle w/o sticks IMHO. (I may just be weak)

Thanks again for all the help,

FatBoy...