Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Nosler Accubond vs. Swift Scirocco: Which Would You Choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Silver Member
Re: Nosler Accubond vs. Swift Scirocco: Which Would You Choose?

If the Scirocco II will shoot for you I think it would be a great bullet for the application. However, I tried and tried to get the 180 grain version to shoot out of my .300 Win Mag and couldn't get a decent group to save my life. Switched to 180 grain Accubonds and have yet to fire a group over m.o.a. It was the easiest load work up I have ever done.

I have seen a number of elk killed with both the 180 grain and 200 grain version of the Accubond, and I have seen several killed with the 180 grain Version of the "old" Scirocco.

They all died without any complaints [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

As POP would say "Accubonds Rock"

Unread 10-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Bronze Member

Same here, I could not get the Swift bullets to perform out of either my .270 or 300 Win mag, switching to the Accubond made a huge difference, load tests continue with the .300 but my .270 now shoots under 1 inch all day and first tests on deer show teriffic results, for me the choice is simply " what weight of Accubond to use"!
Unread 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Thought I would post a range report for those who might be interested. After breaking in the barrel with some cheaper factory loads, I cleaned the barrel realy well and checked both loads at 200 yards. The Black Hills w/ Nosler Accubonds grouped approx 4 inches. The Remington Premier with Swift Sciroccos was a little over 2 inches. I cleaned between loads and gave both of them another chance. The Nosler Accubonds just would not group worth anything out of this rifle while the Swift Sciroccos did great.

At 400 yards, the Sciroccos grouped about 6 inches. Keep in mind that I had a pretty good wind from the 6 o'clock with varying gusts. I set up with the wind to my back to try to minimize its effect but it still got me a little. However, those 200 yard groups were not the wind's fault.

I'm shooting a factory Remington 700 SPS w/ 26" barrel in a H.S. Precision stock. Scope is IOR Valdada 2.5-10X42 FFP wit MP-8 Reticle.

I wish the Nosler Accubonds had worked for me but they just didn't.

The thing I am a little worried about right now is that I have to go buy more ammo and it looks like I will be forced to go with the Scirocco II's. Their website says the load data is exactly the same as the old Scirocco's with the exact same density and profile. I hope all I have to do is go confirm my 200 and 400 yard dope then finish confirming ballistic chart data out to 700.

Any thoughts? Is the Scirocco II ballistically identical to the original version?

Unread 10-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

If you can afford it, I would give a try to these to contenders from Federal. One or the other might surprise you!

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Unread 10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Sometime when searching for the right factory ammo it takes more that a few boxes of different manufactures, different Bullet weights etc.. In the past before I started relaoding I used Conley Precision - they custom load your ammo to some pretty tight tollerences. You might want to try the 180 Gr. Hornady InterBond as well. See if you can get ahold of them and ask for Cole - He loves to talk!
I hunt South Texas