Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Accubond vs. Swift Scirocco: Which Would You Choose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Nosler Accubond vs. Swift Scirocco: Which Would You Choose?

I'm going on an elk hunt in Colorado at the beginning of November. I will be shooting a .300 Win Mag in a Remington 700 SPS (26" barrel). Based on my current abilities and past expereince, the farthest shot I will attempt will be 700 yards and that will be predicated on confirming accurate shots at that distance w/ this rifle before I leave town.

I am using commercial/factory ammo and I have my cartridge/bullet combo narrowed down to these two:

1) Remington Premier 180 grain Swift Scirocco

2) Black Hills Gold 180 grain Nosler Accubond

When I chronographed these rounds, I was a little surprised to see that the Black Hills/Nosler Accubond was moving a bit slower than factory specs and about 70 fps slower than the Remington Premier/Swift Scirocco. There was also more variation in velocity from the Black Hills ammo. From one shot to the next, the Remington ammo's velocity proved to be more consistent.

While I am still wringing these rounds out and have not yet tested them for long range accuracy, I would like to hear your opinions on which one you would use if it were your elk hunt. Any opinions? I'll listen to them all.

Thanks

Doug
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler Accubond vs. Swift Scirocco: Which Would You Choose?

If you accuracy test at 700yds I'm sure that one of those loads will be noticably more accurate than the other. Testing at 100yds-200yds only gives a hint of longrange capabilities.

A rifle/ammo combination with PROVEN accuracy builds a lot of confidence when afield.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

I would go with either the 180 gr or 200 gr AB, which ever one shot the best.

JD338
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Doug,

Her is a survey I posted a short time back:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...true#Post115181
Old 10-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with varminthunter. Shoot them even at 300-400 yards and 1 of the 2 will be doing noticably better. Thats the one I would go with for a shot out to 700 yards. Accuracy is about the #1 main goal.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

Ditto what others say. Choose whichever one shoots better in your rifle.

Both are bonded bullets with similar terminal ballistics, but my impression has always been that the scirocco expands more ( yielding more energy and a bigger shock) and the accubond peels backward more and penetrates better...just an impression.

I´ve recovered a couple of 150 sciroccos out of a 7 rm shot on roebucks; just killed a big deer with an accubond breaking shoulder and the bullet exited. None failed.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

I would pass on the Sciroccos for elk. Buddy here planted 3 in the shoulder of a very small bull elk last year. They were 180's driven out of a 300Wby at near 3300 muzzel velocity. Range was between 150 and 200 yards. All 3 shots floored the elk only to have it regain it's feet and continue on it's way until it went out of site. The minimal blood trail stopped after a couple days of tracking. The elk was seen a month later back in the same area with 3 bald spots healing well on his shoulder. This year we will see if he is Partition proof. I have recovered many Accubonds from different test mediums and not one has fully blown up and none more than doubled their diamenter. The Scirocco's hammer out to flattened coins if driven hard enough. I would use them in a 308 Win.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.