Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Re: Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

This is an old post but just found it searching for info on the150ablr in my own 270wsm. Haven’t read all 51 pages of posts but have read some of them so please excuse me if this has already been suggested. Has anyone looked in the bore with a borescope to see if there may be a section with marginal lands or built up copper in one area? I assume the ablr has less bearing surface than other non-lr bullets. If only a small section of the bore had marginal grip combined with a bullet not having a lot of bearing surface then at some increasing velocity the smaller bearing surface bullet would slip and skip in that section before re-engaging. This results in a proper twist stabilized bullet but with a number of physical inconsistencies.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz View Post
This is an old post but just found it searching for info on the150ablr in my own 270wsm. Havenít read all 51 pages of posts but have read some of them so please excuse me if this has already been suggested. Has anyone looked in the bore with a borescope to see if there may be a section with marginal lands or built up copper in one area? I assume the ablr has less bearing surface than other non-lr bullets. If only a small section of the bore had marginal grip combined with a bullet not having a lot of bearing surface then at some increasing velocity the smaller bearing surface bullet would slip and skip in that section before re-engaging. This results in a proper twist stabilized bullet but with a number of physical inconsistencies.
For what little it's worth. My Ruger M77 in .270 win groups 130 gr Berger VLDs under an inch at 100 yds. I finally got the 150 gr ABLRs to group at under 3/4" but it was much harder to find a load. I just put the two bullets side by side and the length of the bearing surfaces for the two bullets are almost identical. I'm pusning the berger @ 3110 fps and the ABLR @ 2970 fps. I thought that the biggest complaint in this thread about the .277 150 gr ABLR was a concern that it would hold together at close range and high velocity.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

All I can say is wow! Finally got all 52 pages read and What a bundle of information guys. Thanks for all the hard work and saving so many of us the trouble of spending money and wasting time. This was very interesting to me because I just picked up a 7mag Model 70 to build a 270STW. I mainly shoot ABs mostly 130s through my 270wsm so i was kinda disappointed in the 150 LRAB results but oh well. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

We have had great results with the 150 gr. LRAB out of our .270 winchesters. Had to back off on the velocity compared to the 150 grain VLDs but we have killed deer and elk very far and relatively close with great results.