Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

I'm still tweaking the load but the accuracy is there.
This rifle shoots the other Nosler bullets, 140 gr BT/AB, 150 gr PT/ET, and 160 gr AB .3 or less.

JD338
Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD338 View Post
I'm still tweaking the load but the accuracy is there.
This rifle shoots the other Nosler bullets, 140 gr BT/AB, 150 gr PT/ET, and 160 gr AB .3 or less.

JD338
That is interesting, do the other Noslers need the jump for good accuracy in your rifle? Maybe these bullets with the more aggressive ogive need more jump. Time will tell as more bullets get out in the field. Unfortunately, many will seat them to the lands and test them and if they do not shoot good will just give up on them instead of actually doing a complete load work up as your doing. Your doing it right!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Just got back from the range with the results of shooting 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips in the 270 WSM. I started with a clean/cold barrel and fired 1 fouling shot followed by 4 three shot groups at 200 yards. I let the barrel get slightly warm but never more than that. The ES of velocities for all groups was right around 20 fps so not horrible. Loads (all Ramshot Magnum), average velocities and group sizes were as follows:

68.5 gr/2,984 fps/2.218
69.0 gr/3,005 fps/2.906
69.5 gr/3,038 fps/2.343
70.0 gr/3,067 fps/4.531

All groups but the one with 69.0 gr had two shots about 0.5 apart and then one flyer to open up the group. A classic indication that there is some barrel vibration going on.

This performance sucks and I need to see what these bullets do running closer to 2,900. Im guessing that they will shoot a lot better as did the 150 ABLR bullets however all shots today landed on my 8.5 X 11 target paper whereas the ABLRs wouldnt stay on 4 of those targets thus I dont know what group size they shot when they went bad but it had to be at least a foot to miss all that paper.

Conclusion: The 150 ABLRs shoot MUCH WORSE than the Ballistic Tips in this rifle while running similar velocities. What does that mean? Beats the hell out of me. Maybe this barrel does have a harmonics issue as Kirby suggested and the 150 ABLRs just really hate barrel harmonics. Now what? I suppose Ill run them down around 2,850 fps and call it good. Then again, with all this messing around Im about out of them so the problem may just go away for this hunting season as I likely wont be able to get any more of these ABLRs until Nosler does another production run next year.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Gold Member

What it means is that the 150 gr ABLR wont stabilize in your rifle, which most likely is a 1:10 twist.
Nosler recommends a 1:9 twist for this bullet.

JD338
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
That is interesting, do the other Noslers need the jump for good accuracy in your rifle? Maybe these bullets with the more aggressive ogive need more jump. Time will tell as more bullets get out in the field. Unfortunately, many will seat them to the lands and test them and if they do not shoot good will just give up on them instead of actually doing a complete load work up as your doing. Your doing it right!!!
Hi Kirby

The only bullets I have had to seat deep for more jump is the 150 gr E-Tips and the 150 gr ABLR, everything else is seated long as you can see in the picture below. The 160 gr AB went .092".

JD338
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD338 View Post
What it means is that the 150 gr ABLR wont stabilize in your rifle, which most likely is a 1:10 twist.
Nosler recommends a 1:9 twist for this bullet.

JD338
I'm not buying that. First, he was getting OK accuracy at a lower velocity and increasing velocity would only help stability. Next, run the numbers in a twist calc like Berger's and a 10" twist will give about a 1.25 SG which is not ideal but plenty good for target shooting. Bullet manufacturers recommend an SG of 1.5 for hunting which is what a 9 twist would give.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Good point Mark. I scratching my head on this one.

JD338