Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

Not tech savy enough to post 2 pics in one post
Nosler Accubond Long Range problem-image.jpg

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

I can say I noticed and just rechecked weird striations a little ways down from the tip on my 150/270 ablrs. But I do admit mine were blems from shooters proshop. I had hoped they were perfect bullets and just put on sps to get some in the public's hands. Now I'm wondering if there was something more to it.
Sps also had for a while "blem 7 mag factory ammo loaded w/the 168 ablr"
I picked up 4 boxes for a buddy...I spot checked 1 box for concentricity and found over 1/2 the box had more than 10k run out....ouch!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Not tech savy enough to post 2 pics in one post
Attachment 25134
That second pic explains why these new Long Range Accubonds expand so easily, that long hollow cavity behind the polymer tip would really make the tip deform much easier at lower velocity.

I would bet the core is exactly the same alloy as the standard AB but that hollow cavity will really aid in expansion at lower velocity.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I just got an opportunity to repay a long over due favor to Roy.

I still have yet to secure a chrono locally. Which is how id prefer to handle this.
Broz was more than gracious, & offered one of his, which was pretty wide of him considering. I appreciate that more than most of you know. Enough said.

Here's the skinny,
When I get my hands on a local chrono, ill contribute my findings, & results. But knowing that my factory rifle won't be able to push em hard, & fast enough to give the results Roy, Rhian, & Kirby want, I figured it best to ask if Roy could test & push the rest of the box of 270, 150ABLR's (real deal, not blems/2nds) in a clambering that'll be sure to put them thru their paces, & then some. This way we can get a wider velocity spread to contribute to finding an answer to an issue that may, or may not exist with the 270 ABLR.
We'll soon have some more detailed info we can add to this thread, & compile, to help make a more educated evaluation. The more credible info we can compile, the better, as far as I'm concerned. IF there is a velocity ceiling problem, I want to know.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Silver Member

Just speculating, but the hollow area behind the polytip could make the bullet more susceptible to centrifugal/G forces, especially in the smaller diameter bullets where there would be less 'meat' around that void to hold it all together.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
I shot a 3 shot group of 0.656” at 100 yards using my 270 WSM with the new 150 grain ABLR and 60.0 gr of H4831SC, 26” bbl, COAL of 2.915”. This load chrono’d around 2,910 fps. No pressure signs so I worked on up to 3,000 fps. That is where the problems started. In two different barrels with different scopes I’ve seen the same thing. Get near 3,000 fps and the bullets go all over the place. At 2,966 fps they grouped under 1.5” at 200 yards, but at 3,000 fps I can miss 4 sheets of notebook paper while aiming at the center, then go 4 inches right and then hit point of aim and then back to no bullet hole at all. I switched to Ramshot Magnum and it did the same thing – shot good slower and then went to hell at 3,000 fps. I talked to Nosler’s tech guy yesterday. He has never heard of any such issues but he is going to do some checking. Anyone else seen this problem?
I haven't read thru this as I just got back on the forum so it may already be solved. It sounds like a problem with the bullet and could be a flaw in the bonding? The jacket should be PLENTY thick enough that the velocity is not affecting it at that low level. If it was a twist problem, you would have the opposite affect with no stabilization at the lower velocities. A 100 fps increase in forward velocity will increase the rotational veocity by thousands of rpm. At some point, the flaws (concentricty and imbalance) show up which could easily explain what is going on. I'm not saying that IS the problem, but is a likely possibilty.......Rich
......Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 09-07-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Well, I just got an opportunity to repay a long over due favor to Roy.

I still have yet to secure a chrono locally. Which is how id prefer to handle this.
Broz was more than gracious, & offered one of his, which was pretty wide of him considering. I appreciate that more than most of you know. Enough said.

Here's the skinny,
When I get my hands on a local chrono, ill contribute my findings, & results. But knowing that my factory rifle won't be able to push em hard, & fast enough to give the results Roy, Rhian, & Kirby want, I figured it best to ask if Roy could test & push the rest of the box of 270, 150ABLR's (real deal, not blems/2nds) in a clambering that'll be sure to put them thru their paces, & then some. This way we can get a wider velocity spread to contribute to finding an answer to an issue that may, or may not exist with the 270 ABLR.
We'll soon have some more detailed info we can add to this thread, & compile, to help make a more educated evaluation. The more credible info we can compile, the better, as far as I'm concerned. IF there is a velocity ceiling problem, I want to know.
That will at least tell you if its the bullet or rifle for sure. Give em heck Roy. Set the 270 AM loose and see what happens with 'em!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com