Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Hope they make it to the target
They are deadly to a bit over 1400 yds but are falling like a brick.

Noslers of any ilk shoot lights out in the 3 grove 8 twist Lilja 270 AM. Hornady 140 BTSPs do also.

Berger 150s began to be erratic above 3200 or so. As do/did WC 195s. Three shot, 200 yd groups were always banana shaped and greater than 1.5 MOA or so.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
To make their claim of opening at 1300 fps they would have to use a softer lead alloy because a standard Accubond won't open at that speed, the point is smaller than the standard Accubond so the ALR would really have to be much softer up front to get it to open at such a low velocity.
Not nessesarily, could be that the tip has been redesigned to offer more of a wedging effect to force open expansion at lower velocity, or they may have a thinner tapered jacket at the meplat.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Noslers of any ilk shoot lights out in the 3 grove 8 twist Lilja 270 AM. Hornady 140 BTSPs do also.

Berger 150s began to be erratic above 3200 or so. As do/did WC 195s. Three shot, 200 yd groups were always banana shaped and greater than 1.5 MOA or so.
That's because the bergers and old WC195 were both made on J-4 jackets and the 3 groove barrels, turns out are pretty darn hard on thin jacketed bullets, especially long one driven to high velocities.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Subscribe

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
That's because the bergers and old WC195 were both made on J-4 jackets and the 3 groove barrels, turns out are pretty darn hard on thin jacketed bullets, especially long one driven to high velocities.
Plus 1, this has been the recipe for bullets coming apart on impact of game in some smaller high velocity calibers, in more than one instance. I feel a fast twist rate will aggravate the problem even more.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

However, these Noslers are of a new ilk. They are advertised to expand down to 1300 fps and ya gotta wonder how they designed the bullet to do that? Did they go too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Not nessesarily, could be that the tip has been redesigned to offer more of a wedging effect to force open expansion at lower velocity, or they may have a thinner tapered jacket at the meplat.
According to these pics, the tip is no different than other Nosler tips... but, there is a hollow cavity below the tip. The jacket is also tapered different. IME, the jacket must be thinner toward the tip end of the ogive and/or the lead alloy core softer than their other bullets. Did they make the nose too soft?

AccuBond

Ballistic Tip Hunting

AccuBond Long Range

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Side x Side comparison 140 NAB (L) & 150 ABLR (R)
Nosler Accubond Long Range problem-image.jpg

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"