Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

I shot a 3 shot group of 0.656” at 100 yards using my 270 WSM with the new 150 grain ABLR and 60.0 gr of H4831SC, 26” bbl, COAL of 2.915”. This load chrono’d around 2,910 fps. No pressure signs so I worked on up to 3,000 fps. That is where the problems started. In two different barrels with different scopes I’ve seen the same thing. Get near 3,000 fps and the bullets go all over the place. At 2,966 fps they grouped under 1.5” at 200 yards, but at 3,000 fps I can miss 4 sheets of notebook paper while aiming at the center, then go 4 inches right and then hit point of aim and then back to no bullet hole at all. I switched to Ramshot Magnum and it did the same thing – shot good slower and then went to hell at 3,000 fps. I talked to Nosler’s tech guy yesterday. He has never heard of any such issues but he is going to do some checking. Anyone else seen this problem?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

I read a week ago about a man having problems with a new accurate barrel that he just purchased.
I think your having the same problem as he is.
NOW LISTEN UP! something that is never spoke about for accurate reloading is NECK TENSION. This is the number one factor that gets experienced reloaders all screwed up.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
I shot a 3 shot group of 0.656” at 100 yards using my 270 WSM with the new 150 grain ABLR and 60.0 gr of H4831SC, 26” bbl, COAL of 2.915”. This load chrono’d around 2,910 fps. No pressure signs so I worked on up to 3,000 fps. That is where the problems started. In two different barrels with different scopes I’ve seen the same thing. Get near 3,000 fps and the bullets go all over the place. At 2,966 fps they grouped under 1.5” at 200 yards, but at 3,000 fps I can miss 4 sheets of notebook paper while aiming at the center, then go 4 inches right and then hit point of aim and then back to no bullet hole at all. I switched to Ramshot Magnum and it did the same thing – shot good slower and then went to hell at 3,000 fps. I talked to Nosler’s tech guy yesterday. He has never heard of any such issues but he is going to do some checking. Anyone else seen this problem?

Sounds like what we have seen with tight twists and jacketed bullets when we pushed them too hard. Things start coming apart. But these were at speeds well above where you are seeing it and high twist rates for the caliber. If you have it in two rifles at the same velocity it does seem like a velocity issue tough. I just cant imagine it happening at 3K though.

Jeff
Old 08-31-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

More details on the rifle would maybe help, I've set up a number of 270 WSM's and I like to run the 150's in the 3200fps range and the 165's in the 3000fps range so you should not be at a velocity that is in any way pushing it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 09-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineering101 View Post
In two different barrels with different scopes I’ve seen the same thing. Get near 3,000 fps and the bullets go all over the place.
What twist rates are your barrels? 3-groove, 4-groove, 6-groove? Just about has to be a bullet defect for the bullets to come unglued at 3000 fps MV. Unless the Nosler ABLR bullets have really thin jackets compared to their BTs and ABs. The BTs and ABs can be pushed hard without coming apart.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Gold Member

The Accubonds may be out of balance a bit more than is optimum .
Core bonded are prone to this.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

I can personally state that I couldn't get accubonds to unravel with extreme twist and worn rifling. Two examples:

I had a 1 in 7 twist 3 groove 30" 7mm rem mag that began to cause 180 VLD hunting bullets to diverge from POI. Switched to 180 VLD target and that helped for a little while. Finally had to switch to accubonds and problem solved. Was shooting 140s at 3350 from 30" barrel and it shot fine.

My worn out 28" 257 Weatherby with its 1 in 10 3 groove also began to alter the 115 VLDs. Switched to 110 accubonds and the issue stopped. The accubond shoots very accurately at 3700 plus fps.

I mentioned the above to illustrate that the accubond stayed together for me when the rifle was causing issues with the Bergers. IF your new LR accubonds were bonded I would think that would rule out the coming apart issue.

I cannot think of any reason why this would happen. I did encounter some partitions that strayed over a foot from the POI when I worked up a load many years ago. I switched bullets. Bet that is not what you want to hear.

How about weighing all bullets?

Interesting and frustrating problem. Will follow this thread, perhaps someone will have the answer.