Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm?

Ive been having problems with the Barnard, sticky bolt up and down sometimes dam near immpossible to open.
NO signs of over loading just plain hard to open after firing, checked and re checked everything, full lengthed sized all the brass,bumped the shoulders back, correct case length OAL etc too,
lubed the lugs you name it I did it to take every concievable possible problem out of the equation.
Loaded some rounds last nite,bolt closed and opened like a dream without firing, Yaye! Fixed it!

At the range today BOOOM!!! Arrr Sticky bolt WTH!

Fortunally last week my long awaited order of Lapua Brass turned up so last nite I loaded 5 of them too, EXACTLY the same as the Norma brass load.
Just for giggles I chambered one and Squeeeezed! The velocity jumped up 90 fps but wait... I opened the bolt with my little finger,just how it should!
I got the fired Norma case put it in the action bolt wouldnt even close! did the same with Lapua brass, bolt closed..... perfectly.

Now I dunno but is that normal for Norma brass?

BTW I got some CHEAP NORMA 338 Lapua brass for sale

Regards 300WSMMAD
Old 11-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Bronze Member

Re: NORMA 338 Lapua brass VS Lapua ! Hmmmm?

Regards 300WSMMAD[/QUOTE]

Thanks...
...and I am laughing!!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSMMAD View Post

Regards 300WSMMAD
How much will you give me to take it off your hands?

You pay shipping of course.

Stercus Accidit.

Nice try means you suck spelled different.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Norma brass is very consistant and great for accuracy but its very soft , that probably what the problem is , your brass isin't springing back to is shape after firing.

Lapua is the best brass I've ever found for both consistancy and strength
Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300WSMMAD View Post
Ive been having problems with the Barnard, sticky bolt up and down sometimes dam near immpossible to open.
NO signs of over loading just plain hard to open after firing, checked and re checked everything, full lengthed sized all the brass,bumped the shoulders back, correct case length OAL etc too,
lubed the lugs you name it I did it to take every concievable possible problem out of the equation.
Loaded some rounds last nite,bolt closed and opened like a dream without firing, Yaye! Fixed it!

At the range today BOOOM!!! Arrr Sticky bolt WTH!

Fortunally last week my long awaited order of Lapua Brass turned up so last nite I loaded 5 of them too, EXACTLY the same as the Norma brass load.
Just for giggles I chambered one and Squeeeezed! The velocity jumped up 90 fps but wait... I opened the bolt with my little finger,just how it should!
I got the fired Norma case put it in the action bolt wouldnt even close! did the same with Lapua brass, bolt closed..... perfectly.

Now I dunno but is that normal for Norma brass?

Regards 300WSMMAD
I can tell you exactly what the problem is because I had the same thing happen with my 338Lapua Mag Imp.
Your sizing die is not sizing the web area of your cases enough, the only reason it is happening on your Norma cases first is because they are softer than the Lapua cases but sooner or later it will happen to the Lapua cases too.
The solution to this problem that I found was to have a custom reamer made and have my barrel cut off and re-chambered, if you dont want to go this extreme try a different sizing die that may size down the web area a bit more.
UB
Old 12-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Yup, what they said. I got 16 firings on my Lapua brass before the bolt lift got fairly stiff, at which time I pitched the brass. I think I got my money's worth.

Festus
Old 12-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

The Lapua brass in thicker(or so Ive read) in the web area and a bit up the case, so that might be a reason that your velocity went up....anyway its made just for the pressure of the 338 Lapua ..good stuff for sure.