Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

No Sierra Bullets in My Rifle!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 PM

No Sierra Bullets in My Rifle!!!

I love The Sierra Bullet Company, they are truly the best

Last edited by Danja; 05-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: No Sierra Bullets in My Rifle!!!

I don't have a horse in this race but isn't the 2 tiered pricing you describe very common in most product lines?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I don't have a horse in this race but isn't the 2 tiered pricing you describe very common in most product lines?
Absolutely!! Most seem to think all business buy products for the same price, not true. Money talks, and the more you spend, with most manufactures, the lower the price per item. It's called "volume buying/selling".
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post

Yea that is pretty much the norm in the sporting goods industry. Almost every company does the exact same thing, unless they are big enough to have a large staff of sales reps to be able to call on small shops. Or just up the price enough that the end user to pays for the rep. You will find most companies that go dealer direct have a bit higher prices to pay for the extra sales people needed. Its much cheaper to sale 1 distributor $10,000. worth the bullets than it is to sale 10 different dealers $1,000. worth. Also most dealer dirrect companies (not all) use some sort of price fixing, which is illegal and much worse for the end consumer (but better for the small dealer). Just something to think about.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop View Post
Yea that is pretty much the norm in the sporting goods industry. Almost every company does the exact same thing, unless they are big enough to have a large staff of sales reps to be able to call on small shops. Or just up the price enough that the end user to pays for the rep. You will find most companies that go dealer direct have a bit higher prices to pay for the extra sales people needed. Its much cheaper to sale 1 distributor $10,000. worth the bullets than it is to sale 10 different dealers $1,000. worth. Also most dealer dirrect companies (not all) use some sort of price fixing, which is illegal and much worse for the end consumer (but better for the small dealer). Just something to think about.
Not "price fixing", It's called MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) and easily gotten around, just don't "advertise" the price in national media.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
Not "price fixing", It's called MAP pricing (minimum advertised price) and easily gotten around, just don't "advertise" the price in national media.
Price fixing and MAP are different but usually used in conjunction with each other. Many companies use map and many more us map with an understanding that if you sale below map, advertised or not you will not receive product or your fill rates will be so bad it is not worth trying to stock them (Usualy you will be the last to recieve your product). Other dealers usually are the ones policing this, and manufactures get phone calls quite often from other dealers tattling on someone’s discounted pricing. I have worked in the sporting goods industry for a while, in retail, as a rep, and now for a manufacturer and this is the norm if you are buying a product from the manufacturer and not a distributor.
I not saying you should change your opinion of Sierra but there are two sides to the distributor vs. factory direct argument, and it is not quite so simple.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

I was in sales for years, and I can assure you this is perfectly normal.