Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

No exit! What happened

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member
Re: No exit! What happened

Well I wanted to see a dramatic exit wound!

[/ QUOTE ]

barnes TSX then! They are accurate!
"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Unread 01-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

what pop said barnes x or a fail safe
Unread 01-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

I have buddys that have used the Accubonds all year and they have told me that in their 300 WSM they have had excellent performance with the 180gr bullet.. If it body slammed that hog it did its job, give it another chance.. Especially if you can't find the bullet in him.. The only other bullets I would consider would be the TSX from Barnes or the new MRX bullet from Barnes, scheduled to be released this spring and go with the 150 grain..Good luck..The next hog shoot it in the exact same place and see what happens next time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]?
Unread 01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

The impact did not cause the boar to roll over. On a 265lb boar a 140 grain bullet at a little over 3,100fps cannot create enough energy to cause much of a push.... After all the recoil didn't knock you over did it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya know Dave, I agree with you 100% that the laws of physics, calling for an equal and opposite reaction, will tell us that the bullet did not knock the boar over.

However, The last boar (ursus americanus) I shot weighed around 300 pounds live weight and was contacted by a 250 grain bullet out of a .338 win mag at a range of 70 yards. He fell over on his side in the same direction as the bullet was going. I couldn't have knocked him over if I was standing over him with a baseball bat.

In short, even though the math dosen't work out, there has to be some sort of "mojo" that bullets have that is like a big magic hammer. Maybe it is hydrostatic shock. Maybe it is an instinctive reflex. Maybe it is bullet fairys.

I don't know but I'm sure glad it works. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Unread 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

That beast had armor plating on the sides. Walking up to it.I could see that it was dead(Had my 44mag in hand if I was wrong) so I kicked it in the side plates man I'm glad I didnt hit it there.
How does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul?
Unread 01-17-2006, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

Iron Worker, I agree with Kirby's assessment. It was only a 140gr bullet and to penetrate that tough a skull shows it held together pretty well. A Barnes TSX would probably have penetrated further, but dead is dead! Good shot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

like they all say... hes dead!

also, with the pigs falling over in the direction that the bullet traveled lets put it this way: if someone hit you in the head with a hammer, do you think you are more likely to fall towards the hammer or the opposite direction? probably the opposite direction.

now as for no exit: i shot a coues yes a lil coues about 110-120 lbs on the foot with a 125 ballistic tip from my 30-06 movin around 3,100-3,200fps MV ( cant remember exactly)at about 410 yards. i hit him square in the shoulder and there was no exit! BUT he didnt take another step! front shoulder was demolished, lungs jelly and off side shoulder demolised also! was i mad there was no exit? HELL NO!!! i was exstacit! he was my first deer and i dropped him!
77" coues buck, last day 571 yards. .257 Wby. 115 VLD