Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

No consistency in groups HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: No consistency in groups HELP!!!

Sully could be onto something. Might wanna try a muzzle brake, if you are jumpy on the trigger, or get target panic, or you flinch from recoil anticipation.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, but I have a brake and am shooting from a sled. Don't think it's flinching. Just can't explain why running a couple patches through a barrel move the groups so much.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM

My buddy has a 264 win mag and when he would shoot groups he would have 3 touching holes and a inch and a half away there would be 2 touching hole. After coming home from the range we checked his barrel to see if it was free floated or not and we found a few pinch points in the stock where it was touching. We put a small shim under the front recoil lug to lift the barrel to see if thats what the problem was before we started sanding his stock. The next day at the range he shot a 1/2 inch 5 shot group with the shims. That might be something to try also
Old 05-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Deaddog, thanks for the input. Going to take the gun back to the gunsmith that did the bedding and see what he thinks. Hope it's something that simple and can be fixed.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:53 AM

Have you checked that your scope will hold a reliable zero on another proven rifle???.Had accuracy issues with one of my rifles,lots of trips to the range with different loads. Some shot great groups, but you could re test same load and it was all over the place. Turned out problem was with the european scope not holding its zero.....

Had scope repaired, problem fixed in my case.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Does your scope have a parallax adjustment?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

I shoot with contacts and found that the clearest picture isn't always the correct setting. Move around behind the scope with it in the rest to see if your crosshairs move.