Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

No consistency in groups HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM

No consistency in groups HELP!!!

I could really use some help and advice. I have a 300 win mag that is driving me crazy. The picture is of 4 groups I shot today at the range. Here is how things went.

Group 1 - 3 shots, then cleaned carbon and let cool (cleaned w/CarbOut)
Group 2 - 2 shots, then cleaned carbon and let cool (Cleaned w/Hoppe's #9)
Group 3 - 2 shots, then cooled (did not clean)
Group 4 - 3 shots

With a 3" target, I don't feel that the groups are bad, just no consistency in the groups. Below are the specs of my gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rem 700 Sendero 300 WM
Manners T5A stock, glass bedded
Leupold Mark 4 scope 5.5-20x
75.0 gr H1000
180 gr. Nosler Ballistic tips
Winchester cases (FL sized)
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
No consistency in groups HELP!!!-img_20130507_180133_914.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Re: No consistency in groups HELP!!!

I did drop the scope elevation 1-1/2" for Group 4, so Group 3 and 4 are pretty similar.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

After you clean your barrel, you will have a foul-shot or 2 (stray flier). This could be what you're experiencing. For example, I clean my gun thoroughly before each season. Then I go to the range, shot a shot or 2 to foul the barrel. Then I shoot my group to make sure my scope is on. Then I never clean my gun's bore for the rest of the season, and I don't touch my scope unless I miss or it gets bumped around.

Are you trying to break your barrel in? Is that why you are cleaning inbetween groups? If so, the random groupings could be a sign that your barrel hasn't broken in yet.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

My gun is already broke in (200+ rounds so far), and I do shoot a LOT! Lately it's been 3-4 times a week, 20-40 shots per session. Been playing with different loads, so I've been cleaning between groups so everything is consistent. I would understand if the first shot in a group was a flyer, but I can't figure out the rest!
Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe your rifle just doesn't like that load? There could be lots of factors in that. You might need to adjust your COL. Might need to change up powders. Might need to change bullets. Might need to adjust powder chage. Could need to make sure you're action screws are torqued to spec. Could need to float your barrel. It really could be lots of things, man... Wish I could give more insight.

Has it been shooting this same load well? Or is this load development?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

My Sendero 300 RUM would sometimes need 3-4 fouling shots to settle down after a thorough cleaning with Bore Tech Eliminator. I found out through another member who uses Bore Tech, that if you finish up with their CU+2 Copper cleaner and patch it dry, your first shots after cleaning should be on the money. I have found that to be true in 3 rifles now.

You could have something else going on too... hard to say.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Groups 1 and 2 arent bad...3 is wider and 4 is even more wide open.

Recoil from the gun is doing it. You're getting gun shy from it