Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

No body believes me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

No body believes me.

I have a HART Barreled 6x284. Gun smith who chambered my rifle says I have severe throat erosion. ( Aproximatly 900+ rnds through it)Problem :This BBL shoots better now then it did when it was new. 100% of the loads I shoot are full throttle max loads. It still produces well under 1/2 MOA at 100 frequently. How can this be?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: No body believes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
I have a HART Barreled 6x284. Gun smith who chambered my rifle says I have severe throat erosion. ( Aproximatly 900+ rnds through it)Problem :This BBL shoots better now then it did when it was new. 100% of the loads I shoot are full throttle max loads. It still produces well under 1/2 MOA at 100 frequently. How can this be?
It is what it is! Accuracy potential isn't measure by the amount of throat erosion. It's measured by a firearms abillity to place bullets in the same place shot after shot.

After about 300 shots I inspected my 270-300Rum, and the rifling looked like it was all but washed away for the first 6-7". Yet the rifle continued to preform very well until I hit the 750 mark and groups started to really open up.

Keep on shooting until it craps out!

Last edited by steve smith; 05-03-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
I have seen this with my first 300 RUM barrel. The first 2 groups I ever fired through it were sub .25 MOA. Now, almost 1100 rounds later, it still shoots sub 1/2 MOA. About .3-.35 MOA on a good day and .5 on a very bad day. I too have looked at the barrel through a hawkeye and have seen very bad throat errosion and overall heatchecking.

My opinion is that these occurences happen naturally. The accuracy can still be acceptable and even exceptional, BUT I also believe that sooner or later, and for the 300 RUM and the 6.5x284 it will be sooner rather than later :( that the accuracy (when the barrel has had enough) will just fall off the table.

You and I are in the same boat. Our barrels are shooting great but are on their death beds just waiting to die!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve smith View Post
270-300Rum

And I thought the 300 RUM was a barrel burner!!!....................

WOW!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
And I thought the 300 RUM was a barrel burner!!!....................

WOW!
I'm kinda wishin that I had gone with the 300Rum, but I gotta say that I like the 270-300. Just wish the barrels would last about forever!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I believe you because I once had a rifle that was so eroded that for all practical purposes
it had no rifling for the first 5 inches and it still shot sub 1 MOAs (It had over 70,000 rds
through it).

Erosion only tends to lengthen freebore and freebore is not bad depending on whitch bullet
your using.

Don't worry about it untill accuracy falls off.

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

I have a 257 STW that has a variable twist rate barrel and it shoots one hole groups at 100 yards. I will not name the barrel company but they would not replace the obvious bad barrel. The rifling started out at one rate then faster in the middle, then slower torward the end. I screwed it in just to see what it would do. I love to show it off at the range because it brings a laugh just looking down the bore. Funniest thing you ever saw. But it shoots like a dream. I joke that it is a new design I'm working on and when they see it shoot some actually wanted one. If it shoots, shoot it!