Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

NIghtforce Ballistic software..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: NIghtforce Ballistic software..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflier View Post
Again, for the kind of shooting you are doing, obviously, the ballistic programs you are using do the job for you, and that is great. If I was only shooting out to 1,000 yards, I could manage quite nicely on big game using the same programs that you do. Small varmints at such distances and beyond, however, are another matter entirely. Some of the varmints I shoot have a vital area that is only about 1.5-2" across, and on these, at these distances, a 1/8' error can give you a complete miss. I do a great deal of shooting, and keep detailed records on every shot I take, so that I can hit the varmints I want to, at the ranges, and under the conditions, I want to hit them. No ballistic program that I have yet seen gives precise enough data to be of more than ballpark use for this, although for that, they work just fine.

Good luck, and good shooting!
I've tried several also and found that some are better than and run truer than others. My printed drop chart is tuned to run as true as possible to my real fire numbers. BUT it has pen marks on it my 700 yard dope for some reason is off by 1/2 MOA on one chart.
A program gets me close then I tune the program to match my real fire results as close as possible at 300, 500, 750 and 1K Then do a lot of shooting and take noted of minor corrections. As stated small targets need small margins of error.

I see more problems with programs with smaller slower caliber rifles at long range such as my 6br. Past 600 yards it sheds 1MOA every 25 yards with the program I ran for it the 500 yard dope is perfect but the 700 is off enough to miss a varmint such as a fox. My last fox was taken at 670 and would have been a miss without real fire data to back up the chart.

Last edited by Rimfire; 06-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:04 AM

Re: Nightforce Ballistic software..

Thanks, Rimfire, for getting where I am coming from. I have fine-tuned some of the better ballistic program data, too, but at extreme ranges not covered by the data I already have, program data so tuned still does not predict POI well enough to use. My last ground squirrel was taken at 1352 yards, with one shot, using a rifle I have put over 2300 rounds through and kept such detailed records on that that shot was a lot less luck than one might think. Especially since my second-to-last ground squirrel (on the same outing) was taken at 1134 yards, also with one shot. Now, before anybody yells at me, let me hasten to add that I do not shoot that well every day. Just most days...lol.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Re: Nightforce Ballistic software..

Thanks, Rimfire, for getting where I am coming from. I have fine-tuned some of the better ballistic program data, too, but at extreme ranges not covered by the data I already have, program data so tuned still does not predict POI well enough to use. My last ground squirrel was taken at 1352 yards, with one shot, using a rifle I have put over 2300 rounds through and kept such detailed records on that that shot was a lot less luck than one might think. Especially since my second-to-last ground squirrel (on the same outing) was taken at 1134 yards, also with one shot. Now, before anybody yells at me, let me hasten to add that I do not shoot that well every day. Just most days...lol.

["Nothing was ever killed by a fast noise"]
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Re: NIghtforce Ballistic software..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
If you shoot me your email address, I will send you a simple to use calculator in the Excel format that can be used on a pocket PC with Excel. If this will fit your needs for a portable calculator, then you can have it.
Hiya Mate,

Just noticed you have some excel balistics software, any chance you could send me a copy please.

robertsmith141@hotmail.com

Thanks Mate.