Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

NIghtforce Ballistic software..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member

Re: NIghtforce Ballistic software..

LoadBase 3.0 with (Spin Drift) PC&PDA Ballistic Program

The above link is a thread on Patagonia's Loadbase 2.0/3.0 ballistic software. Some posters mentioned that they had both Nightforce and Loadbase balllistic software. Of those posters some liked Loadbase 2.0 better than Nightforce. Some the other way around.

I only have Loadbase 2.0, which I like, but I can't compare the two. Good luck in your selection.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Mine works great on a Dell Axim X5.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Bronze Member

Hi, This question is for those who are using the night force targetting soft ware. What is the best way to accurately program the information into the program so it will track accurately through out the range you are shooting. I have done the initial sight in using real time atmospheric conditions,cronographed velocity,sight above bore,bullet weight and BC and sight in distance and can't get it to track through out the range. I have changed sight above bore,velocity and even BC but am unable to get it to track. I am using the Berger 210 gr vld and am using .616 bc and have also cronagraphed the bullet velocity at different ranges and figured bc by the velocity change between the beging and ending across cronographs and still not working. I am shooting a night force 5-22 nxs and have checked dial up for true moa and that is ok. The rifle is shooting well and my drop charts I carry into the field are rite on. I am probably missing some thing but not sure what. If any one can guied me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am using a Palm pilot if that means anything and am using Night Forces barrel angle degree indicator. Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinstan View Post
Hi, This question is for those who are using the night force targetting soft ware. What is the best way to accurately program the information into the program so it will track accurately through out the range you are shooting. I have done the initial sight in using real time atmospheric conditions,cronographed velocity,sight above bore,bullet weight and BC and sight in distance and can't get it to track through out the range. I have changed sight above bore,velocity and even BC but am unable to get it to track. I am using the Berger 210 gr vld and am using .616 bc and have also cronagraphed the bullet velocity at different ranges and figured bc by the velocity change between the beging and ending across cronographs and still not working. I am shooting a night force 5-22 nxs and have checked dial up for true moa and that is ok. The rifle is shooting well and my drop charts I carry into the field are rite on. I am probably missing some thing but not sure what. If any one can guied me in the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated. By the way I am using a Palm pilot if that means anything and am using Night Forces barrel angle degree indicator. Thanks

The link below might help you. It's rather detailed with regard to set up and also references other posts.

Kestrel question.- Correct altitude ?
Old 05-31-2009, 03:03 AM

Re: Nightforce Ballistic software..

All targeting software programs are based on whatever guns and ammunition lots were used to make them. Your results may (and probably will) differ, at least somewhat. The only sure solution is to fire your rifle at all of the different distances at which you might have to use it, and keep records of the drop, as well as of the atmospheric conditions and the incline angle, if any. If you do enough of this, you will end up with a data book for that rifle which will be much more accurate for that rifle, optic, and load than any program can possibly be.

And, of course, practice. A lot. I wish you good luck. Please let me know how it works out.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Nightforce Ballistic software..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertflier View Post
All targeting software programs are based on whatever guns and ammunition lots were used to make them. Your results may (and probably will) differ, at least somewhat. The only sure solution is to fire your rifle at all of the different distances at which you might have to use it, and keep records of the drop, as well as of the atmospheric conditions and the incline angle, if any. If you do enough of this, you will end up with a data book for that rifle which will be much more accurate for that rifle, optic, and load than any program can possibly be.
That approach can get the job done if you always hunt at the same elevation. If you hunt at sea level for moose, 2500' elevation for black bear, and 4000-6000' elevation for sheep, then the chart developed for the rifle will result in misses at long range at the other elevations. The advantage of well-tuned ballistics software is being able to modify the environmental conditions for other locations and be good to go, without having to create a new drop chart for the new set of environmental conditions (Atm Pressure, Temperature). Plus, the software provides options such as angle of fire, which is quite important while hunting in the mountains. Shoot at an angle of 20 degrees above or below horizontal @ 700 yds and you'll wound, or miss, if you use the same hold that worked on the level.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have both programs, LoadBase and Exbal. Those that like me own both
programs, not only know about the unarguable superiority of LoadBase 2.0
but also know that Loadbase 2.0 has been giving us, help me say it, a bunch
of upgrades completletly free of charge to all registered users; and there is a
powerful LoadBase 3.0 coming up, an UPGRADE, free of charge, again, to all registered users.
I have been keeping up with both applications, LoadBase 2.0/3.0, and Exbal. I
have the latest version of Exbal and I have been paying for every update.
Not in the long run, but in a very short run, including all above mentioned
benefits, LoadBase 2.0/3.0 is definitely more affordable.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 05-31-2009 at 06:38 PM.