Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Next Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 01:57 PM

Next Rifle

Well folks, I have been doing some more Long Range shooting and I have been bitten by the bug. Having only shot up to 300m before, I found a LR club and I'm hooked!

So, I have a question:

I'm thinking of getting a L-R rig. My question is which rifle?

I'm mainly a hunter so what I'd like is a suitable rifle for hunting that also will be able to turn in a "respectable" performance pushing 300-1000m

So, after having read around the subject some, I'd like some advice on chambering and rifle.

My current thoughts are to fit in with my current stable:

.22lr
.223 CZ527
7x64 Brenneke - Voere, M98 clone
9.3x62 Mauser (express sighted, mainly boar in the thick stuff rifle) - FN Commercial

Proposed rifle:

M98 type action, long barrel
300WM or 338WM (I don't reload, yet, and these have a lot of factory options)

Thinking the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan (25" Barrel, Stainless, laminate stock so nice and stable).

But, that is just my initial thoughts - I'd be very willing to heed better advice from those in the know.

SO,

.300 or .338WM or something else (7mm Rem Mag springs to mind but not sure enough different from the 7x64)
Make of rifle and or modifications that wold make.

Folks, I thank you in advance for your wisdom.

KR,

Scrummy

(PS, think am sorted for optic but suggestions are welcome too!)

Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Re: Next Rifle

From the cartridges you listed I would go for the 300 Win Mag, it is a proven chambering and will do everything you want it to and more.

Win M70 would be a good choice but also the Rem 700.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Well, those are good calibers that you're considering but you may want to consider something in the 6mm / 6.5 range. In my experience (relatively limited considering the membership on this site) starting with, and practicing with, a smaller caliber is easier on the shoulder and the pocketbook. I am a big fan of practicing with a 243 with a heavy barrel and muzzle break as it will reach out there and is easy to shoot. I took a buddy and his 9 year old out and after a quick explanation of what we were doing his son made first shot hits at 400, 775, and 845. Those big cals can be rough on anyone.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member

Why not the beltless powerhouse 8x68S with its excellent performance, also out to a 1000m. In Europe you''ll find any kind of supply for it without difficulties not to mention the different rifle models from various manufacturers.