Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Newby here..... Just a few ????'s.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Re: Newby here..... Just a few ????\'s.

A Williams,

For what it's worth, I usually worry more about selecting a bullet that arrives on target than one that expands well. Most all your target bullets are hollow points anyhow and they will expand somewhat. The lead is generally harder than a hunting bullet so they hold up under more speed and rotation and the fact is, most hunting bullets are intended to hold together anyhow. The Ballistic tip mentioned above does wreck the hell out of an animal, even at longer range, but that doesn't mean they go right down either. For shorter range, say 600 and under, I'd choose a "Good" hunting bullet such as a partition style. After that, I'd say I want a boat tail Match bullet. Cut some bullets apart on your table saw using a jig and a carbide blade and you'll see a lot of voids in typical off the shelf hunting bullets. That's why guys don't use them in matches.

Last but not least, (I allways get a kick out of this) if you're worried about wounding a deer, don't shoot at em! I basically feel, "It's deer season, that makes it a real bad time to be a deer!"
Old 02-05-2003, 12:37 AM

I have seen the 162 A-Max terminal effects on 3 whitetail doe this year. I think it is the best long range hunting bullet I have ever seen in the 7mm caliber, BAR NONE! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Writers Guild

If you are expecting impact vels 2500fps and lower, forget about a "tough" bullet. The Nosler BT, Hornady SST and Amax are much better choices.

I presently use the 165gr SST in my 30 cal rifles and love it both for performance in flight and on game. Should hold together even for 3000fps impacts.

As to 1000ft/lbs, I too am not a big believer. If the bullet gets to the boiler room and busts some vital organs, the animal will go down. Going down fast or slow is a matter of the state of the animal.

Been there where tiny cartridges and/or small bullets have flattened big game and seen small big game take big energy and wander off "dead" and not know it.

Got to hit them in the right place first...

Jerry
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Re: Newby here..... Just a few ????'s.

i have been doing some research on BCs as well and i would totally agree that deriving the numbers is subject. i have an article that a guy did thatis ten pages long and he tested the the 155 grn laupua scenar, 155.5 Berger FBBT, and the scierra 155 match king. supriseingly the numbers weren't that far off but out to 1k yds there were significant differences. just depends on what yu want to shoot and the application of what you are doing i.e. trgt hunting etc. i can not remember the website i found the article but it was well worth the read of ten pages. i am trying out some hornady amax 140s in my new 260 simply bc they have a huge BC and some guys have had some awesome results but i shoot mostly 175 SMK out of my 308 just because they shoot so well.