Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

newbie question, bore cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM

newbie question, bore cleaning

Not really new to hunting or shooting, but not a "gun expert" either. I allowed my 7mmRemMag (factory model 700, not custom) to go about a year (maybe 10 rounds fired) without cleaning the bore. The other day I ran a rag through it and upon inspecting it with naked eye and pointing bore toward lamp, noticed that it did not come completely clean. I have yet to run a brush through it or try any other remedy. I'm hoping/assuming I havent done any permanent damage - what are your thoughts? Can some of you more technically sound shooters give me the "for dummies" version of cleaning a rifle bore - I've been taught different things over the years? Keep in mind I'm not a competitive shooter - just a recreational mid-range hunter. thanks in advance for your input, and I apologize if this thread is better suited for a different forum; I wasn't sure.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: newbie question, bore cleaning

I'd bet that the rifle is fine. 10 shots shouldn't be enough to effect mid range shooting much at all. It might take a bit of work to get all the fowling out if the barrel was never broken in propperly, but with a little time and elbow grease, you should be able to get it cleaned up just fine. Gunwerx has a pretty good video on basic gun cleaning, I think it's on their website (maybe youtube, I can't remember where I saw it) youtube has a couple vids on rifle cleaning that are pretty good too. If I were you I'd watch several of them and learn what you can from each. There are a few different schools of thought on the matter, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in any one of them, unless you're going to start shooting longer ranges where accuracy becomes even more important. Just stick to the main points and you'll be fine.

Good luck
Cody
Old 12-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

couple key points to keep in mind.

1. never clean from the muzzle.

2. Always use a bore guide.

3. Buy a good solid 1 piece rod, Dewey, Pro shot etc.

4. as for cleaners you have copper removers, carbon removers and combo.

IMO WipeOut is about the easiest and simplest for your use.

5. Use the rod slowly and easily. You are not whipping up a cake by running it back and forth as fast as you can.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

To add to the good advice. Your magnum will build up powder fouling and copper fouling. Some solvents can remove both like Bore Tech eliminator

http://www.boretech.com/products/eliminator.shtml

If you use some of the harsher copper solvents like Barnes CR-10 be aware you must neutralize them or they can etch the bore.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Set up rifle in a cleaning vice, like a Tipton.

spear a patch on a proper fit jag on a 1 piece rod

soak patch in your solvent of choice (I like Warthog bore cleaner): http://warthog1134.com/

push rod/patch through bore guide and soak bore a couple of strokes. Repeat with 2 new soaked patches.

Push one dry patch

push bore brush (wet with more solvent) through bore about 10-20 times. If you are really anal about the crown, unscrew the brush prior to drawing it back through the muzzle and reattach before each pass. I drag it over the crown very slowly myself.

push 2 dry patches, then another soaked one, then another dry one and check color of patch for fouling. If cleaned to your satisfaction, push a patch with oil on it through the bore prior to storage.

I also like KG supplies. I like their carbon solvent and copper solvent. follow their directions.

OR, Finally, get some wipeout or gunslick foam and fill the bore. Let it sit for as long as you want, even til the next day. Push dry patches through. Keep in mind, the longer a foam sits in the bore, it will lose the foam consistency and turn to liquid, settling on the downside of the bore due to gravity. I did some foam cleaning on a rifle with wipeout 2 days in a row, laying the rifle on each side and upright in a Tipton vice. That worked pretty well. No brushing needed on that occasion.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Gold Member

+1 on the Tipton one-piece rod and bore guide. I usually set my rifle in my rifle rest so the muzzle is at a slight downhill angle so the solvent doesn't run back into the action. I soak a couple of patches and push them through. I use Butch's bore solvent. I then let it set in the barrel for about half an hour or so. Then I push another soaked patch through. Then I use a phosphor bronze brush and slowly push all the way down and back. My brush only makes it about 1/4 of the way out the muzzle, so I feel ok with pulling it back through. I usually do one brush stroke for every round fired. Then I will push another wet patch through and then dry patches until it's dry. I then push a patch with some Remington spray oil on it followed by a final dry patch to mop up the excess oil. Just beware that a lot of the bore solvents are pretty harsh to stuff like counter tops and hard wood floors, just don't ask me how I know. I also wear rubber gloves when using this stuff because I don't want that stuff soaking up through my skin.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
My brush only makes it about 1/4 of the way out the muzzle, so I feel ok with pulling it back through.
I've been advised by 3 bbl makers and 2 smiths not to do that. I was told to make sure the brush never changes direction inside the bore.