Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

New wildcat design

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: New wildcat design

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Geewizz Rich,

You're into more stuff than I am.

So 6.5x65 is '06? Good find. I'd never have figured that one out.

I'd do about anything to move from Win/Rem brass to RWS.

Maybe run your chamber specs on a 270 Win w/a 0.6++ bc bullet in 160 class would turn the old Winny into a true 1k rig.

Hmmmmmmm..........

Good goin.!
Ya, I can't seem to not be messin with somethin all the time! I've been trying to get some more length in my cases for a while because the 300, especially, shrinks about .025" in length when you form a .270 or .280 into my case. The factory RP and WW cases are only 2.525" or so when new (not 2.540") as advertised. I ordered a box of 6.5x65 RWS from midway and they measured 2.552" avg. Also, they don't seem to shrink as much because the body is already considerably longer than a .270. The downside is they are not really made out of brass but GOLD! I can tell by the price. I'm told I will make up the difference in case life and uniformity though (we'll see)?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: New wildcat design

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertyme View Post
I have never used a better case than RWS.

Many years ago shooting a 30 Gibbs I really got tired of fire forming cases after 3 shots using our throw away case made in this country. Someone turned me onto the 7X65 R RWS case. I now use the 5.6 X 57,7X57 280 Rem,6.5X65 which is .005 larger in diameter than the Rimmed 7 X 65., 06 and 9.3 X 74R brass.

I have never lost an RWS case and I was driving them to short Mag pressures and velocities well before the short Mag craze.



The case on the left is a 6 Rem case. The next 3 going right are formed 224 minicoop cases with 30 degree shoulder. The case all the way to the right is a 338 Gibbs with 35 degree shoulder.
One can not go wrong with RWS case's.
Neal
Thanks Hammer......good to hear! I'm hoping to really put some zing in my rifles and I know what you mean by going through cases although I have had pretty good luck as long as I don't push them to hard. That's my problem though, I have a hard time refraining.......Rich
p.s. My case holds more powder than the Gibbs and has a better neck if you ever get interested.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: New wildcat design

So have you got a new reamer and barrel ordered for this critter. Hornady custom dies? Should be interesting to see what you get out of it.

My next upcoming 6.5 creation will be dubbed the 6.5 Montana or maybe the 264 Montana. It will be a necked down 300 Dakota with a 35* shoulder. Gotta keep one step up on those Dakota boys It was going to be a 6.5-375 Ruger, but necking down from the 300 will be a lot easier and it's slightly shorter making an easier fit into a Howa magazine. The brass arrived last week and I'm real impressed with it. Barrel should be here in about a month, give or take.

Got the 210 Shermans loaded up and ready to go along with some GS 177's and Cutting Edge 180's. Too windy today, hopefully good weather tomorrow

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 04-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: New wildcat design

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
So have you got a new reamer and barrel ordered for this critter. Hornady custom dies? Should be interesting to see what you get out of it.

My next upcoming 6.5 creation will be dubbed the 6.5 Montana or maybe the 264 Montana. It will be a necked down 300 Dakota with a 35* shoulder. Gotta keep one step up on those Dakota boys It was going to be a 6.5-375 Ruger, but necking down from the 300 will be a lot easier and it's slightly shorter making an easier fit into a Howa magazine. The brass arrived last week and I'm real impressed with it. Barrel should be here in about a month, give or take.

Got the 210 Shermans loaded up and ready to go along with some GS 177's and Cutting Edge 180's. Too windy today, hopefully good weather tomorrow
Sounds like a SCREAMER Mark! It should do justice to those 210's. I didn't have to order reamer, dies or anything but a go gauge as all my old stuff will work with the new 300 Max. The added length will even clean up the old throat a little......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: New wildcat design

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Sounds like a SCREAMER Mark! It should do justice to those 210's. I didn't have to order reamer, dies or anything but a go gauge as all my old stuff will work with the new 300 Max. The added length will even clean up the old throat a little......Rich
I just realized you said 6.5 after I mentioned the 210's. Guess you won't be shooting those in a 6.5!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: New wildcat design

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I just realized you said 6.5 after I mentioned the 210's. Guess you won't be shooting those in a 6.5!
Yeah, you had me scratching my head on that. It would take a pretty tight twist to get those 210's down a 6.5 tube

Looks like a great day. Got to go unload a grain bin up in Wilsal this morning, then hit the range this afternoon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: New wildcat design
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Bullet Design fariswm Long Range Hunting & Shooting 6 04-15-2009 07:00 AM
New Bullet Design fariswm Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 44 12-06-2008 09:35 AM
Stock Design cappi Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 9 02-01-2008 01:20 AM
TARGET DESIGN Ian M General Discussion 12 06-26-2006 01:07 PM
Flame Design Troy Equipment Discussions 4 06-21-2003 08:38 AM

Current Poll
How Many Different Cartridges Do You Reload For?
ZERO, all factory ammo - 8.07%
358 Votes
1 - 2.79%
124 Votes
2 or 3 - 14.60%
648 Votes
4 or 5 - 20.46%
908 Votes
6 or 7 - 14.78%
656 Votes
8 or 9 - 8.59%
381 Votes
10 or more - 30.70%
1,362 Vote
Total Votes: 4,437
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC