Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New "true" time of flight device. What do you all think?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: New "true" time of flight device. What do you all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
Could you make one that would?
I am not sure. I dont own one and dont know how they work. I am sure anything is possible but without first hand knowledge, I cant say for sure.

If you would give me some insight on how the system works, then I maybe able to help you.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

If you would be interested in working on one for the Model 43 I could send the 43 to you.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
If you would be interested in working on one for the Model 43 I could send the 43 to you.

Before you do that can you tell me any technical info on it? What will it do that it would work with my devices?

I guess what I am trying to get at is how will my devices help the 43?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Oelher made Acustical targets for the model 43, the one that I purchased does not have the acustical targets, it has every thing else. I just purchased this one and I am not famillar with it at this tim, but I would like to have acustcal target to test bullets for true BC
Old 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM
SPONSOR

Michael,
On the business end...
Your idea may be very timely. The fact that Oehler is withdrawing from the market means there will be a void for the high end ballistic lab equipment available to the average shooter. I don't know the full extent of your ambition with this project, but maybe you can fill that void. Last I knew, the Oehler business was up for sale. I would highly recommend getting in touch with Ken. I'm sure he's got the answers to your questions about the market for such tools and LOADS of other valuable information for you.

On the technical side...
You mentioned 1000 yard capability with a wired system. Dealing with 1000 yards of coax is challenging at best, and downright impossible over some terrain. In addition to that, I think the reason why the Oehler system only goes to 300 meters is because that's as far as a signal can be reliably transmitted thru coax (with practical power supplies) without needing to be amplified. Amplification adds another component and level of complexity to the system.
I'm certainly not discouraging your effort to develop such a system. I just want to illuminate some of the challenges of a wired apporach.
When developing my own system, I almost decided to use wires, but went wireless in the end. It just makes it so much easier and more flexible to set up and you can easily find transmitters that work well over 1000 yards.

It would do loads of good for the LR shooting sports to have a systematic way for shooters to accurately measure BC's over long distance.

Good luck,
-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting