Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

A new spin drift and coriolis question (I think) Exbal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: A new spin drift and coriolis question (I think) Exbal

I am thinking that the best way of all to figure out how much SD alone there is would be to go to the equator and shoot!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Coriolis effect explained, maybe too well

My first trip from PA to Limpopo SA in 2006 proved that my rifle was shooting low and to the left. We adjusted it in and my PH was confidant enough to allow me to take a sucessful 300+ yard shot with my 338 win mag. Sighting in during my 2009 safari, same location again, proved low left again with both 25-06 and 375 ruger. Again, the confidance payed off, i was allowed to take 300+ kills on Eland and Gemsbok. When I returned home i fired both rifles and they were off high right basically the same amount that we had adjusted them in SA.

Coriolis effect at 100 yards? All the extermely detailed information that members have posted in this forum indicate probably not. But it is the story i'm sticking with.

Seriously, I really appreciate all the information that the experienced members post. As i get more serious about accurate shooting I find myself reading through old threads for pearls.