Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New "Slim" Painkiller Muzzle brake from APS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

New "Slim" Painkiller Muzzle brake from APS

To All,

I have had several customers come to me wanting my Painkiller muzzle brake but when we got to looking at their rifles, we found their muzzles were to large for the small 3 port PK brake which is extremely compact but when they saw the size of the Medium 3 port PK they did not think they wanted something of that size on their muzzle for various reasons, weight, scabbard fit, appearance, etc.

They really wanted the recoil reduction but felt that the very wide design on the medium 3 port PK was just to much.

Well, I have decided to offer a "Slim" 3 port PK brake for just such applications. Its the same specs as the standard medium 3 port PK but insteady of 1.500" in diameter, its slimmed down to only 0.985" diameter. Its still 0.900" across the flats so technically its still a slab style brake but just enough to allow you to use a wrench to gentally torque it on. Its actually abit smaller in diameter then the small 3 port PK brake.

Not only that, its weight has been reduced dramatically. The standard medium 3 port PK weighs 6.5 oz. The "Slim" version is only 3.2 oz. They are the same length at 2.25" of length and add roughly 1.6" to the barrel length.

Here are some pics for you to compare. This "slim" PK is fitted on a new Rem 700 sendero in 300 RUM.

Standard medium 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake

New "Slim" 3 port Painkiller muzzle brake.

The "Slim" 3 port Painkiller costs a bit more then the standard medium 3 port PK because of extra machining time but for those that want the recoil reduction of the PK brake but do not feel the wide slab design is right for your application, well, this one will do all you want and more!!!

Just a heads up.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New "Slim" Painkiller Muzzle brake from APS

i must admit to liking the smaller version better. the larger one, although obviously very effective, just seems to give it a bit of a "tank look". the smaller version, at least to me, could probably get away without having the flats milled on them as they don't seem to add to the cosmetics much with that diameter. without the flats, you could eliminate the top holes by positioning the slots on the sides a little above center. might even make the slots a bit taller. just a suggestion. my thought is you could eliminate machining costs and get the same results.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

Very nice looking brake, I have sent you an email about it. Rgds, Steve
Old 09-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

Nice Kirby, I like the look of that slim brake. Very nice.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Sweet looking brake.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Bronze Member

Are there any noticable differences in performance of these to brakes? Kirby, i'm also going to send you an email later on couple other ? and probably be getting one of these.
Thanks for your time.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I can not tell off my shoulder any difference but the muzzle blast does seem a bit sharper off the slim brake. MAkes sense as the muzzle gas is contained longer with the wider PK so its velocity slowes some by the time it leaves the ports.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com