Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new to the site, questions about my rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: new to the site, questions about my rifle

i will look into that in the vendor section

anybody know if this box mag conversion will work with my 7mm rem mag?

Detachable Box Magazine | Accessories | Products | Weatherby.com
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Dustin,
I agree with Camshaft..... pass on the BSA. I am not familiar with the Vortex scopes so no real opinion on them. The thing to be careful with scopes that have dial up turrets is repeatability. Few if any of the lower end scopes I have seen have the precision internals that will allow you to dial up and down several moa's time after time and always return to EXACTLY the same zero. From my experience and observation Night Force, Leupold MK4, US Optics, and a few others can reliably do that........ and they are all high dollar scopes. Again I don't know about the vortex scopes, they may dial up and down just fine...

My suggestion is to buy a reasonable quality scope with a multi line reticle. You can get a decent Leupold or Nikon in your price range. That should easily get you out 500 or 600 yards with good accuracy. Some guys on this site are quite proficient out to 1000 yards and beyond with mil dots or other reticle configurations. You can go "dial up" later.

Don't worry about barrels yet. Stock, trigger, optics, handloading equipment should be enough to get you to 500 or 600..... at least try first then worry about a new barrel if the rifle simply will not shoot.

Lastly, I am sending you a private mail with my email. You are welcome to the press I have. Let me know if you want me to ship it to you or you can come and pick it up. My suggestion is for you to come and pick it up as I really think in an afternoon or evening I can really help you get started on what you will eventually need for long range shooting and precision handloading. I started many years ago trying to shoot long range and had no one to teach me anything, I learned a lot from the school of hard knocks and wasted a lot of money and time. I eventually discovered this site and my learning curve accelerated greatly. You are way ahead of the game by finding this site, just about every topic you can think of is in the archives and as you have seen by your post here there are plenty of guys on this site who are willing to help you learn.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

thanks for the info....i'm starting to think after looking thru the classifieds that maybe i can pick up a used scope that i can dial maybe if i'm lucky

yeah i will come over and get the press i would like to talk more about shooting, i will even bring my rifle long as ya promise not to laugh...lol

anybody know about that mag for my gun that i linked?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Doesn't look like it will fit a 7mag but you can look at Wyatt's or accuracy international as they both make good dbm setups
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Silver Member

yeah i seen it wasnt listed...do those companys make them for my vanguard tho?

and i have yet to find the vendor section can you give me a link?
Old 11-28-2010, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Hey, drop me a message I am in Central arkansas (Hazen) and may be able to get together after deer season and help you with some load workup. My range is only 190 yards but it provides a goos enough base for basic load work. Vanguards tend to shoot very well, and if you are not wanting to spend a lot of extra money you may first be best served by seeing just how well it will do if you find a load specifically worked up around YOUR rifle. I may be repeating what others said, I didn't read every reply but let me know I may be able to help. Are you shooting at a public range or private?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

private no range just a pretty good size farm...yeah it shoots handloads pretty well i'm just wanting to start extending my range beyond 400 yards but sure maybe you could come up here some time and we could do some shootin