Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

new to the site, questions about my rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: new to the site, questions about my rifle

Calipers, yeah don't go too cheap on those. I prefer Starett, they seem to be resonable and they apear to have a more consistent repeatable zero.

I've seen some real crappy blue-point, and many others. They will keep you in the ball park, I'm just a little picky in the measuring instrument dept. There are a lot of different brands, and I'm sure better than even Starett.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

thanks for the info guys

so far this is what i have came up with

timney trigger - Timney Rifle Trigger Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, Mossberg 1500, S&W 1500 with Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Blue - MidwayUSA

egw 20moa base - EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Howa, Weatherby Vanguard Matte Long Action - MidwayUSA

stock? i would like this bell and carlson but they dont have it for long action? Bell and Carlson Medalist Light Tactical Rifle Stock Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard Short Action with Aluminum Bedding Block System Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA

havnt settled on optics or rings yet suggestions that dont break the bank?

as far as reloading for now there are a couple guys around here that i know that i'm just going to have load me up like 100 rounds or so while i'm figuring out how to reload, but i was looking at this starter kit, i know i will have to add more to it but what about it? RCBS : RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit -
Old 11-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

Dustin,

Burris makes some rings that are pretty good and not real expensive. Don't really know what to tell you on scopes. I have gone to Night Force scopes on all my long range rifles because I prefer to "dial" rather than use multi line reticles. There are some pretty good Leupold scopes out there that have multi reticles. You will need a multi line reticle scope or one with dial up turrets. Guessing at holdover is simply not a viable way to do long range shooting. Some of the other guys here may have some specific scope models for you to consider.

The RCBS Rock Chucker kit is an OK way to go, I and many others started our reloading journey with one of those. Knowing what I know now, I would not buy that though. The press is about the only thing in there you will end up using very long. In my opinion, that kit is perfect for "reloading" but for long range shooting you need to be "handloading". You will eventually end up buying better versions of almost everything in the kit except maybe the press.

Tell you what, I just thought that I still have my old rock chucker press (from my kit 25 or 30 years ago) I replaced it with another press a couple of years ago and I will give it to you if you want it. It may be old, but it is still perfect working order. You could use the money you would have spent on the kit to set yourself up with some more precision tools. Just let me know if you want the press and I will have see if I can remember where in the garage that I stashed the thing.....
Old 11-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

optics - yeah i know i need adjustable target turrets that's what i've been looking at midway has a BSA scope on sale right now, its a really cheep scope but the reviews are pretty good about it and i figure it would be a decent start untill i can get something like a nightforce

BSA Tactical Mil-Dot Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 44mm Side Focus Glass Etched Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

was looking at these rings also, the reviews say that the rings that come with the above scope are not that great and they are too tall, again cheep i know but like i said i'm just gettin started and i'm not lookin to spend 5k on a setup just yet...kinda sucks tho that i cant use my leupold rings with that 20moa base

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=381092

yeah! i'd take that press if your not using it and i will use the $300+ on the other stuff that i need in better quality

Last edited by cummin_un_glued; 11-28-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Gold Member

Pass on the BSA. You will need a good tracking scope with repeatable click values. I currently use a Nikon monarch and for the money I don't believe it can be beat, except maybe by the the vortex vipers. Check camera land, they are having a big sale on vortex vipers. Also check out stockysstocks.com they are my number 1 resource when I need a stock.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

pass on BSA...noted i dont have a huge budget so what would you suggest for around the $250 range for optics?

thanks for the link to the stocks they have plenty of options for my action

what about barrels for this vanguard/howa action?
Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

There is a thread in the vendors section on the deal cameraland has on vortex Scopes. You should have no trouble finding somthing in your price range. Barrels are a big topic, I will defer to a higher knowledge on that.