Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Sendero 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice indeed!

Great paint job.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Yuup i gree w/ everybody else ---nice paint job -or are you just a great photographer ..

Would you mind giving us some step by step details on how you got it to come out like that ?
Thankfully i have a remington synthetic to practice on -before i attempt the black HS.

Only thing i see wrong now is you forgot the metal and scope..................

ME
Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

I'll do the metal, and the glass... just wanted to get the stock done first. I'll post a couple of pics when I get some more paint, I have another couple of stocks to do now... that's what I get for posting pictures.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:55 PM
Bronze Member

Here you go Ol'Mike...

Started by painting the entire stock with a base color (in this case it's sage green... for experimental purposes only)

Then I use some plastic grass as a stencil (stolen from one of the wife's flower arangements)...

Here's the stock after the 1st layer of Olive Green. You can see that I changed the angle/direction of the grass while I painted. I don't create an entire coat... just paint particular areas.

Then, a layer of Tan (still using the grass stencil) over the other two layers of paint... On the Sendero stock I used only two colors: Olive Green, and Khaqui (both Krylon Fusion Camo).

Last step... because the tan is such high contrast I like to mute it a little with a light over coat of the Olive using the grass as a stencil again. You can do as many layers as you like... I feel a couple of layers gives good depth to the camo... only you can decide when it's right.

I'm no expert at painting... and I don't really like the way this one turned out... mostly because of the Sage base color. But, you can at least see how I did the painting. Here's another bonus... I already stripped all the paint off of this stock so I can try it again, finally... something I can't totally screw up!

I think I like the two color camo (like the Sendero) better than 3 colors. Although, there's about 15 coats on the Sendero... so maybe that's why it looks so much better. Anyhoo... give me a shout if you want more detail. Or hell, send me a stock and I'll paint it up for you... I'll only charge you a box of bullets.