Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Rifle won't group ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New Rifle won't group ...

were you shooting 4 - 1" groups or were your groups 4"?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTom View Post
were you shooting 4 - 1" groups or were your groups 4"?

4" groups. I could live with 1" groups from a thin profile barrel. I wouldn't like it for the money I spent, but I could live with it.

Thanks to the rest for the other replies. I'm going to swap scopes with a known good scope from my other Savage and check the grouping. If its still bad, I'll contact Savage about a new barrel.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:46 PM

I just got a new 111 Savage Light Hunter in 30-06 and had a Mag-na-port brake put on it. My mistake, I did not shoot it before this work was done. Savages shoot good and Mag-N-Port does good work. So I knew it should shoot 1" or less. After 25 rounds of break-in with a thorough cleaning between each shot. Four different reloads and two factory loads the best group is 5". What a disappointment. Going Antelope hunting next week, gun is staying home. Taking the Savage 270 WSM and 300 Win Mag. They both shoot good.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry J View Post
I just got a new 111 Savage Light Hunter in 30-06 and had a Mag-na-port brake put on it. My mistake, I did not shoot it before this work was done. Savages shoot good and Mag-N-Port does good work. So I knew it should shoot 1" or less. After 25 rounds of break-in with a thorough cleaning between each shot. Four different reloads and two factory loads the best group is 5". What a disappointment. Going Antelope hunting next week, gun is staying home. Taking the Savage 270 WSM and 300 Win Mag. They both shoot good.
I'll take that one to heart when I put a barrel on my stw in a few years. I'll shoot her a bit first so I don't end up magna porting ( or braking) a crow bar.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_shooter View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I neglected to mention that I checked the stock mounting. There is a procedure in the owner's manual for tightening the action screws and Accustock wedge screw. I'm pretty sure the stock mounting is secure.
The wedge may very well be your problem. I had nothing but problems with the accuwedge. My suggestion is to remove it completely and tighten the forward action to 35in/lb while holding the rifle vertical and putting downward pressure on the action (to ensure the the recoil lug is contacting the accustock pillar fully). Then tighten the rear screw to 35 then the front to 55-60 then rear to 55-60.
Im not talkkng out of my arse here. I'm not sure how old your rifle is, but savage has done away with the accuwedge in newer accustock rifles due to inconsistent performance. I had two older accustock rifles. Both performed better without the wedge.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Note to self, OP 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry J View Post
Even though this is an old thread, this is still good food for thought.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams