Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New rifle modification suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Bronze Member

New rifle modification suggestions

Hello all,

I am a new poster to this site but have been spying for quite some time. I really think most people on this site have some very good opinions.

I was wondering if everyone could make a few suggestions on what is needed to make my brand new Remington Sendero SF II 300 RUM a long range shooter as I am new to this type of shooting. I already have a seekins 20 moa rail and rings along with the new viper pst ffp 4-16 scope by vortex.

I am open to all suggestions but don't want to spend over 500-600 on the changes. If it helps, I think I will be reloading my own ammo as I have been told this is one of the best things I can do to improve the accuracy of the gun.

Thanks for your help!

-Fred
Old 02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: New rifle modification suggestions

I would definitely spend the money on reloading equipment and a good reloading manual. Do lots of reading before you dive in. Reloading can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:07 PM

I have the same rifle you do. Mine is top off with a vortec Razor. I put a break on and a new jewell trigger but your rifle might have the self adjusting Mark X trigger. Mine did not have the mark X trigger because of the year i bought it.The break made a big different in shooting it. recoil is down about 50%. It is fun to shoot now but loud.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

You should get the action fully glass bedded (yes I know it has an aluminum block) with a lot of bedding around the recoil lug, second a Vias or equal muzzle brake with atleast 5/8 threads, 1/2" is to small for a 30 cal, lastly xmark trigger or not put a jewell on it unless you can safely get the trigger down to 24ozs or so which is unlikely. Reloading is definently a plus. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you all...I appreciate the recommendations.

I am looking at a muzzle break, trigger work and bedding the action. What does it mean to lap locking lugs?

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks again!

-Fred
Old 02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Lapping the lugs simply means making them have even contact on both lugs can easily be checked with marking compound or lipstick but I do not recommend a newbie trying it, no offense to you.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

No offense taken whatsoever!

The reason I ask is I have seen it offered on a few gunsmiths "accuracy package".

Here is are a couple examples of "accuracy packages" I am thinking about going with. Any suggestions which one would be more appropriate?

Option 1:
Timiney Trigger
Pillar Bedded Stock
Recrown barrel
Lapped Scope Rings
Light Firing Pin and Spring
Check Head Spacing
Option 2:
-Re-crown
-Adjust Trigger
-Lap Locking Lug
-Clean and Inspect Rifle
-Epoxy Bed Action and Free Float Barrel
-Remount Scope, Rings, and Bases
-Abrasive Lap Scope Rings

Option 1 is about $75 more than option 2.

In addition to a muzzle break I was thinking of adding an adjustable cheek piece and an extended magazine box for my reloaded rounds.

Sorry for all the questions, I am just a bit overwhelmed with options and trying to pick the right option.

Thank you!

-Fred