Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New rifle design from ALLEN PRECISION.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: New rifle design from ALLEN PRECISION.....

Ahh ... Honey, this is what I want for Christmas .

That is one outstanding piece of hardware/artwork...... Thanks... drool...slober ... weep

Mike

Old 12-11-2008, 10:18 PM
User

Kirby, how has accuracy been on this rifle?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Timl,

Color is 80% black, 10% gray 10% white

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Trueblue,

Its the 5.5-22x 50mm NXS

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Huntinco,

I have not tested this rifle for accuracy yet. The two I have built in 338 AM were very accurate. Tested them at 1300 yards and both were easily in the 3/4 moa range before complete barrel break in.

I would say that compared to the standard weight Xtreme Heavy Sporter, there is no real accuracy difference but there is a shootability difference. Both rifles are great shooting and easy to shoot but the standard weight XHS acts as if it shoots itself. That is a strange comment to make but its true.

With the lighter weight rifle and with any lighter weight rifle compared to a heavier rifle, there is more piloting on our part to make the rifle shoot.

I will say that at extreme range, that being +1000 yards, the heavier rifles seem to be a bit more consistant but I have yet to see anything worse then 3/4 moa at even these ranges with the light rifle. I am not saying the rifles would not do 1/2 moa, I am saying on that day, I was not a 1/2 moa shooter.

I do not know how either shoot at 100 yards, I could care less about that and do not even test this type of rifle at that range, no point in it.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Hey Kirby I was just wondering why you did not use your new APS Hybrid throat design. My guess was muzzle blast, but I was not sure. My next question is what bullet are you shooting out of your 375? I want to have one built but I am concerned with bullet avalibilty, Whereas the 338 will always have the 300 smk.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Booney,

I only have the Hybrid Throat reamers for the 7mm and 338 at this time, no 375 yet.

I am using the 350 gr SMK. If the new 300 gr Accubond would get out on the shelves, it would be a viable lightweight option as well but not nearly as high of a BC. The 350 gr SMK in 375 has nearly identical BC as the 300 gr SMK in 338.

And can be driven to basically the same velocity as the 338 AM. Just with a heavier kenetic energy payload, a bit more recoil as well but nothing serious.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com