Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Rifle comparison, please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

New Rifle comparison, please help

Hello,

I am in the "wants" for a new Rifle. A lighter caliber with light recoil.
Not a custom build long range rig but a off the shelf with a few mods rig. I know that this is a long range site and I really have picked up lots of valuable info--thanks.

So I have been reading a lot about the 6.5's and am very interested in that cartridge. I am thinking 6.5 creedmore or 25-06.

My question to you all is pro /con of either rifle? I live in the west and will mainly use it for Deer/ Antelope/coyote/chucks and under 500yrds.

I already have a .243 and smaller and 7-08 and larger calibers.
Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Rifle comparison, please help

6.5 Sherman is a great one...And, IMO, better than the Creedmoor.

Also, the 25-06 is a great round, too.

One of the best rounds I think there is for all of that you plan on using it for, is the .257 Weatherby. It is one of the best for whitetails and antelopes and plains game. But also makes a great coyote gun.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

I have looking at 6.5s for 2-3 years. I had decided on 6.5-06 but I am know doing a 6.5 Sherman. I am sending my action off in the next couple of days. This will be my first build.

Jay
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

It all depends whether you want a factory rifle or a custom build. Custom builds the sky is the limit on choice of round and price. Factory 6.5s are kind of limited in choice.
I shoot a 6.5Creedmoor factory Savage model 10 and am well pleased with it. YMMV
Old 12-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Savage makes a line up for the 260, 6.5 creed, and the 6.5-284. All are pretty sweet and so far the ones I have played with shoot very very well.

There is neat model predator that I would consider. Nice rifle. I have something very similar in a 116, SS 24 fluted varmint, SS action, accustock, accutrigger, in a 6.5-284. Rare rifle, but I love it. Shoots well, no issues.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post

One of the best rounds I think there is for all of that you plan on using it for, is the .257 Weatherby.
Great rifle, I agree but would like a "lighter" recoil. Not that the .257 is bad.

Jay[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3stix View Post
It all depends whether you want a factory rifle or a custom build.
I shoot a 6.5Creedmoor factory Savage model 10 and am well pleased with it. YMMV
At this point a factory built rifle and have been looking at the Savage 116

Is it a far strech to compare the 6.5 Creedmore to the 7-08?

Last edited by mrbofus; 12-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, no. The 7mm in comparable bullet weights does not hold a candle to the 6.5 for BC. However, the 7mm08 is a great chamber, easy to find ammo and components, and is proven. I am working on 1 right now for a kid and love it so far. It is shoots 140s around 2700 to 2750 in a 21" barrel.

You can get heavier pills for 7mm as well much easier than the 6.5 but the speed is slower so the trade off is not worth it.