Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New rifle break in:5r mil spec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Re: New rifle break in:5r mil spec

Tar Boys. Spent a bit of time researching before I bought and read very favourable accuracy reports for the 5r(Thanks Grey Fox).
Was wondering how you fellas feal regarding brushes(bronze vs nylon)?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Gav View Post
Tar Boys. Spent a bit of time researching before I bought and read very favourable accuracy reports for the 5r(Thanks Grey Fox).
Was wondering how you fellas feal regarding brushes(bronze vs nylon)?
I switched to nylon about 5 years ago. With the newer solvents I just use it to loosen the carbon up. Also the Boretech eats up the bronze brushes.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I switched to nylon about 5 years ago. With the newer solvents I just use it to loosen the carbon up. Also the Boretech eats up the bronze brushes.
bronze brushes get spendy when they turn into a one time deal, nylon for me for the same reasons
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Tar Boys. Pretty much echoing my thoughts. Let the chems do the work instead of friction. Should be out the range tomorrow or the next to runnin. Was lookin at doin 10x1,5x2,5x3,2x5,1x10. To much/little. Really appreciate the guidance
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds good. Keep us posted on how it shoots. I am sure that it will shoot well because I have never heard of a 5r milspec that hasn't.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 AM

This is my first post to this forum. I have been reading this site and other LR/sniper sites for a while and enjoy long range shooting. I am a hunter, however, 600 yard shots are almost impossible here in Maine because it's so heavily wooded. Never the less, I own a few long range guns and take advantage of LR shooting when I can.

I recent bought a new Remington 700 Milspec 5R and came on this site to get recommendations how to clean and use this rifle. I was really pleased to find this thread. Thanks for your insightful comments. Now all I have to do is go on the range as the wind blows and the temps are below freezing!