Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Remington bedding question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 03:10 PM

New Remington bedding question

Just picked up a new Rem 700 in 22-250 to try my hand at varmits..Anyway, the barrel does not seem to float in the wood channel (Laminated stock) There is a small build up of wood right around the front swivel stud (inside the stock) I noticed this after I took the reciever out of the wood. Anyway...From what I have looked up so far..It's called pressure bedding??? Should I leave it and see how she shoots first before I take some rasps to it to free float the barrel?

Joe
Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: New Remington bedding question

Joe what i would do is bin the wood stock and get a decent after market synthetic, look on ebay for a HS Precision, McMillan or a Hogue (with full bedding block), pressure bedding works on some rifles, but in my experience a floated barrel is usualy the very best option, and if you intend to use a bipod the pressure bedding will have you all over the place. Pete
Old 07-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Gold Member

Joe
I would remove the pads and shoot it free floated or do as Pete suggests and find a McMillan or HS.
The problem with pressure bedding is keeping the pressure the same from shot to shot, day to day....consistency is the key to accuracy.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:47 PM

I got the laminated because I like the look of it. I could of got the synthetic but have too many of those to begin with [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 07-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

...do a good pillar/epoxy bedding job on the stock and free float the barrel... you'll probably be delighted except for maybe the barrel itself... just try it first, if it shoots really well, go ahead and shoot it out and then re-barrel... I agree with you... this laminate makes a nice change from synthetic... jmo
Old 07-06-2004, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

Lablover ,
Didn't say whether you bought laminated or walnut . If it's laminated it should be stable and given a decent bedding job with pillars and glass won't change zero .
There's still plenty of good shooters out there with walnut stocks . Given decent bedding and a moisture proof stock finish you shouldn't have too many problems .
Definitely get rid of that pressure ridge though .Make sure you refinish the barrel channel with something waterproof . [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-06-2004, 04:41 AM
Bronze Member

I recently bought a wood stocked older Sako with pressure points. Removing the pressure points and skim glass bedding slightly increased the accuracy and thus far zero is 100% reliable.

Removing the pressure points can mean that further barrel channel relieving is required as there can be an amount of support which when removed causes the barrel to come down a bit. ie remove pressure point and then bed not vice versa!