Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New remington 700 long range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

New remington 700 long range

any range reports yet??
Old 09-17-2014, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: New remington 700 long range

Not finding a lot of info in these new Lon g Ranges in my searches. Anybody got any accuracy reports? I kind want to buy one just to play with and see how it can do.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

Mine in 300RUM shoots around .5 MOA. I did change the trigger to a timney cause the factory one sucked, and bedded the recoil lug and installed a brake to it.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

This link may help:
remington's new 700 long range!!
Remington can make a very fine rifle. I've seen 'em shoot .25 MOA out of the box. They have also messed up a few. I suspect this one has gotten the QA attention it deserves cuz Remington certainly wants to keep pace in the LR world. They're on sale right now at a Cabela's near you.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorsch View Post
Mine in 300RUM shoots around .5 MOA. I did change the trigger to a timney cause the factory one sucked, and bedded the recoil lug and installed a brake to it.
I actually have done something similar to this with my 7RM Sendero. I had a KMW cheekpiece installed, LongRifles brake, jewell trigger, tactical bolt handle, and bedded the recoil lug. Now it shoots half MOA and under out to 700. If I were to buy one of these Long Ranges that they have come out with now, I would probably do all the same. Be nice to save $500 from the Sendero, although I really really really like my Sendero!
Old 09-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Not finding a lot of info in these new Lon g Ranges in my searches. Anybody got any accuracy reports? I kind want to buy one just to play with and see how it can do.
My friend and I bought identical Rem 700 SPS Varmint 243's. We bought Holland brakes and has a local machinist install them. 10X-40X 60 mm mil dot scopes. near 1/2 moa at 600 yards. Range master verified 3.21 inch 10 shot group. Just using off the shelf hornady cheap 100 gr spbt.

The 26 inch barrel gets them going 3200 fps. I actually loaded to over 3300 and toned them down for the sweet spot.

If you set it up with all the ballistic charts and atmospheric conditions. Hunting is more like harvesting. dial in you scope and you are good to go.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
My friend and I bought identical Rem 700 SPS Varmint 243's. We bought Holland brakes and has a local machinist install them. 10X-40X 60 mm mil dot scopes. near 1/2 moa at 600 yards. Range master verified 3.21 inch 10 shot group. Just using off the shelf hornady cheap 100 gr spbt.

The 26 inch barrel gets them going 3200 fps. I actually loaded to over 3300 and toned them down for the sweet spot.

If you set it up with all the ballistic charts and atmospheric conditions. Hunting is more like harvesting. dial in you scope and you are good to go.
I have often thought about something like this also. Then when my kids get a little older it would be a good gun for them to shoot. To be honest my 7RM Sendero with a brake is about the most tame recoiling gun I have. It is awesome. I fear if I fix up a nice 243 that works for me that my kids would have trouble shooting it later with the same stock and wahtnot. Who konws. I am always looking for a project. hahah I would like to find someone with a shot out 7RM Sendero that I could work on in all actuality but I don't know if I am that lucky. hahaha