Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data

PHorwath,

Excellent! Well done!

I think we need to be friends

Wait, you're in Alaska right? Never mind! Just kidding buddy, you're my friend!!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Nicely done Phorwath. I appreciate your time and effort here. I am looking to buy a 35 P. You have restored some confidence with me as far as accuracy and consistancy in chrono's. Plus it seems one needs to be aware of where the bullets are under the screens and the amount of light at time of fire.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Some 985 Yard Data & G7 BC Determination

Thanks guys. I share this information with the hope that it is helpful. I'm learning more about chronographs with each data set myself. Every time a recording session provides a shot with disagreement between the chronographed velocities, I think back to when I was only using a single chronograph and had no way to identify the questionable data. And I wonder if I've discarded loads with high ES and SD values because of one bogus recorded velocity.

The Oehler 35P is unique in that it's basically the equivalent of two chronographs packed into one unit - having the primary channel - plus the proof channel. The primary channel should be expected to be the more accurate of the two over the long haul, since the Primary channel skyscreens are separated exactly twice the distance apart as the Proof channel skyscreens. The fact that you get two velocities recorded with the 35P for each bullet fired is a really valuable benefit. When both channels are in agreement, you can be fairly confident the data are accurate/good.

I debated whether or not to include the 35P data from shot #2 in my average velocity calculation. The 35P data were in excellent agreement, so those data might have been true and accurate. But they were higher than the rest, and the 33 velocity was out of whack in comparison. Plus the PACT didn't record. So I concluded the data were of dubious quality and didn't use them for my average V985 determination.

Broz, you shoot a lot. So much that you can probably develop really accurate drops over time and likely come very close to a reasonably correct MV by back-calculating with a ballistics program. Plus if you stick with the Berger bullets, Bryan has already provided accurate BCs. The bullet I'm using now hasn't been tested to determine a velocity-based BC by Bryan or anyone other than me, to my knowledge. In addition, I don't shoot nearly as much as you, so I don't develop confidence in my measured drops the way you can with extensive shooting over loooong distance. To make matters worse, I hunt at widely varying elevations and environmental/atmospheric conditions. Up and down the mountains at various elevations. It's common, perhaps even normal, for me to engage game over sloped ground in the 15-20 degree range. One fall we took a Billy goat over a 30-degree inclined slope at 720 yards. 30-degrees doesn't sound like a lot - but it looks like alot when you're in it! Because the mountainous country I hunt in provides such variable 'environmentals' and angled shots, I find comfort in tying down the bullet BC value as accurately as possible. Then I let Loadbase 3.0 determine the corrective dope for these variable conditions and I find that LB 3.0 provides very accurate predictive dope - under all the circumstances I've experienced to date. As far as recommending a chronograph: as serious as you are about your shooting, I endorse the 35P as a quality unit, with the HUGE benefit of providing a 2nd recorded velocity for each and every shot fired.

Hi Eaglet... Good to see you're making time to browse the LRH Forums and remaining engaged in our common hobby!

Last edited by phorwath; 07-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great job Paul! It is very nice to get some data other than my own CRUDE stuff. I respect your work and I think you will REALLY appreciate the terminal performance of these bullets as well. Feel free to post any and all results, good or bad, so I can continue to improve on my design. You may include the expanded bullet pics if you like......Rich
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Now that is a serious setup. Way to go. I have the new 35P and they are awesome.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
--Frank Outlaw
Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Some 985 Yard Data & G7 BC Determination

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Hi Eaglet... Good to see you're making time to browse the LRH Forums and remaining engaged in our common hobby!
Yep! Just too many good folks sharing great info. I've got to hang around!

I see the awesome benefit of one chronograph giving too readings, nice.

I have two chronographs and you finally got my peanut brains into thinking about doing something about it. Once I had used them in tandem... Just once! I'm afraid that's about to change...

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Paul, I was at the shoot today and a friend had his Oehler 35P. He offer the use of it to me. I tested my .338 LM and 300 WM.

It printed off two velocities for each shot but they were different by about 20 fps. the first number was always the highest.

Conditions were 72 bright sun. First screen was 13' 6" from the muzzle. Shots were placed to be centered over photo cells and alinged perfect in the lower 1/2 of the "V"

Is this normal?

Jeff