Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New from Nevada - Need your advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 09:16 PM

New from Nevada - Need your advice

Hello shooters! I am from the Carson Valley in Northern Nevada. I am a handgun guy, and have rifle hunted for years, but want to work on long range rifle shooting and, since I live a state with some wide open areas, long range hunting as well. I have a specific question I have not seen addressed in any of the posts I have searched.

I have inherited a sporterized P17 Enfield that has been re-chambered in 300 H&H Magnum. I have to replace the barrel anyway - ruined muzzle crown and pits in the bore - so I want to change the caliber to something more modern. I really like the 7mm Rem. Mag., but have been told the bolt face was changed for the 300 H&H, so I have to go with something else. 7MM STW was suggested. I DO NOT load my own ammo, so factory ammo is my only option.

Given the above, what would you guys who know about this stuff suggest? I was thinking Pac Nor for a barrel, and would make it as long as necessary to get the best out of the chosen cartridge.

Very much looking forward to enjoying this forum. Thank you in advance for all your help.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
GNERGY

Re: New from Nevada - Need your advice

I thought that the 7mm Rem mag and the 300H&H have the same bolt face.

Tarey
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

The bolt face for the 7MM Rem Mag and the 300 H&H are the same .532

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 07-16-2010, 10:25 PM

Wow! I was told by an accomplished loader that the 7mm STW was the .284 based cartridge to use. I wonder if he just disregarded the 7mm Mag.? Are both 7mm cartridges using the same bolt face? Sorry for my ignorance about this stuff. I am sure he said the bolt face had to be opened up from the 30-06 parent cartridge to accomodate the 300 H&H.

Thank you for the prompt replies!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneNV View Post
Wow! I was told by an accomplished loader that the 7mm STW was the .284 based cartridge to use. I wonder if he just disregarded the 7mm Mag.? Are both 7mm cartridges using the same bolt face? Sorry for my ignorance about this stuff. I am sure he said the bolt face had to be opened up from the 30-06 parent cartridge to accomodate the 300 H&H.

Thank you for the prompt replies!
Yes, the 300H&H, 7mmSTW, and 7mm Mag all use the same bolt face.

The bolt face was opened to go from the '06 to the H&H.

You're good to go if all you need is the 7mm Mag.

I have a couple friends that use a gunsmith in Moundhouse and swear by him. I can get his contact info if you'd like.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 AM

Thanks, geargrinder, I appreciate it. Is the gunsmith you refered to Lee Baker? I have never used him, but heard good things about him. I don't know any other rifle gunsmiths in the area.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

No, not Lee Baker. He is in Carson. My friends have used Lee and will not go back. Two friends, both have had bad experiences.

I'll get the info from my friends.