Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New and need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 PM

New and need advice

Hi, I'm new to this forum and need some help picking a rifle out. I'm sure a lot of you here a good at that.

The farthest I'd shoot it is around 600 yards. I need it to be accurate enough to hit coyotes far away and also be powerful enough to drop deer and black bear at long range.

I cant get a custom rifle right now, but I might get an aftermarket stock for the factory gun I end up getting. I'm not sure what caliber I should look at and I don't have my mind set on anything. Maybe a 300WSM?

Any feedback on the caliber, rifle and/or bullets would be great.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: New and need advice

I don't know what your budget looks like, but if I were to start from scratch, I'd buy a Savage long action and go from there.

There is a fine article by Jerry Teo called I think: Long Range Rifles on a Budget. Just type in name or title into the search function and enjoy!

About caliber, there are many that will do what you are asking, provided you use superior ammo. Your caliber selection first depends on weather or not you reload, do a little research on this site and you will find one that should work for you.

In my humble opinion, more important than just the right equipment, is lot's of practice, I mean as much as time and money will allow.

Welcome, and I hope you get as much from this site as I have!