Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New long range rifle completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

New long range rifle completed

It has been close to nine months ago I was asking questions on twist rate for stabilizing a 180 Berger VLD in a 7mm tube. I ended up getting a 30" 1 in 7, #7 profile, 3 groove SS Lilja. I was warned that this combo of 3 groove and the fast twist could end up ruining bullets at approx 200 rnds. I am happy to say perhaps the choice of chambering kept any problems from happening. Now have 230 rnds through barrel and no sign of bullet damage.

Details: You know the barrel...chambered in 7 Rem Mag with reamer made by Dave Kiff to my specs. It is a no turn neck with the throat moved out a bit to capitalize on the long magazine and bolt throw of a 375 H and H Mark X action. It has a brown/black Joel Russo stock. Lawson co in Tucson did all the gunsmithing. Trigger set at 1 lb. Scope is a 8.5-25 x 50 LR with target turrets and varmint reticle. (it was on sale as a closeout, the last of the VX IIIs) I was very lucky to find that SOMEONE had a picatinny rail for this mauser clone. Near Mfg supplied me with the 20 MOA rail. I chose the Burris extreme rings. Weight is 13 lb 13 oz empty with no sling or bi-pod.

Load data. Used RL-25, win brass, fed 215 match primers and the 180 Berger hunting VLD seating depth was .035" into rifling.

. Also tried some heavy jacketed target VLDs which shot the same with approx 35 fps more velocity. Load was worked up to 69 grains when I had the rifle in a funky mauser stock waiting for the Russo stock. It shot ragged holes at 100 yds with a velocity of 3100 fps. When the Russo stock was bedded to the action more barrel shank was included in the bedding and the 69 gr load didn't shoot as well.

Reworked the load backing down to 68 grs. Then tried seating the bullet a bit further away from the rifling in .005" increments. Best grouping was with the VLD .025" into rifling. Velocity is now 3055 fps at 55 degrees. It climbs up to 3125 or so in 85 degree temps but still shoots great.

This load is very consistent and has shot the same POI for 10 sessions. Moved out to 200 yds and it shoots groups very similar in size to the ones at 100 yds. It is joy to shoot and will be my go to rifle for the coues wt hunt this friday Nov 6.

I devoted my last four sessions to familarizing its characteristics with a harris bipod and a small rear sandbag. It is shooting 1/4 MOA at 200 yds if I do my part.

I'll report back on how it works in the field.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New long range rifle completed

A fine looking rifle. That stock is a real eyecatcher.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

We had problems with the 3 groove barrels and that twist at around 300 rounds but we were also chambering them in the 7mm Allen Magnum which adds around 500 fps to the Rem Mag.

I think you will have much better results with the Rem Mag because of its lower velocity ceiling. I still suspect you will run into issues sometime down the road with that fast twist but if you do, just jump over to the 175 gr SMK and they will hold together for you. Their BC seems to be right around .670 as well which is better then they are advertised to be.

If you need a second option, that would be a good one.

Keep us posted.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

That is one beautiful Rifle and that is one beautiful stock! I might have to reconsider my synthetic only attitude... but man, I would hate to scratch a peice of work like that

Great pics!

Thanks for sharing,

Mark
Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the complements everyone. The heavy jacketed VLDs also shoot in this rig and if the rifling starts to "chew" up the thin jacketed ones I'll just switch.

It was finished with oil so if I decided to modify the stock or do stratch it no big deal just sand it some more.

I am afraid this rifle is going to lead to another.....

Last edited by AZShooter; 11-03-2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Very nice Ross. It went together well, and the finish looks terrific.

Keep us posted on your range results.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice rig!!!
As usual the Joel Russo stock is looking really sweet. Looking forward to see how did it perform in your hunt. Good luck. Enjoyed the pictures.