close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

The new long range rifle arrived.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2010, 05:14 AM
Silver Member

Re: The new long range rifle arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk View Post
Fitch,
If yours is anyting like the two I have you will not be disappointed. Both of mine, 1 used, 1 new, shot .3's with little load development. I may be able to tighten those up just haven't had the time. Happy shooting! JohnnyK.
That sounds really good to me! So far we've had 15 to 30 mph winds all week at the range. Might calm down to only 10 tomorrow. I like 5mph max for load development.

I'm gong nutz waiting for a good range day. Been killing time hunting ground hogs though it's too early. Got one couple of days ago.

Thanks!
Fitch
    Unread 05-01-2010, 07:30 AM
    Silver Member

I took it to the range yesterday to see how it did box stock. I know it has a burr on the crown and it hasn't been bedded, but one ought to see how the thing shoots out of the box. I ran some 3 shot groups with the 160AB, RL25, FED215, Win Brass, 3.309" COL over the range from 67.0g to 70g.

This was the best group:

That's decent but not good enough for the missions I bought the rifle for so I'll tune it up a bit. The two toeether with the third a bit apart is frequently a symptom of a bedding issue. In any event, I've ordered the Sharp Shooter Supply recoil lug and PTG go/no-go gages. When they get here, probably early next week I'll take it apart, true the front face of the action and the barrel nut, touch up the crown to get rid of the burr, make some pillars, glass/pillar bed it, reassemble it, and see how it shoots.

It is a very plesant rifle to shoot. At 13.0 lbs with the scope installed I've no problem with the recoil. That's good because I do not want a brake on a hunting rifle if I can avoid it. I have tenninitius already, don't need to make it worse.

One more thing worth noting, my MV predictions with QuickLoad and the measured values were within 29 fps worst case, 23 fps best case. Pretty consistant IMO.

Fitch

Unread 05-01-2010, 04:22 PM
    Platinum Member

Pretty good group, what was the yardage?
    Unread 05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
    Pretty good group, what was the yardage?
    100 yards. It would have been a lot better if that third shot hadn't kicked out to the left, but it wasn't a called flier, I had a good hold. Getting the crown cleaned up and having it bedded should tighten things up nicely. I'm thinking a group like that at 200 yards should be possible when I'm done and the barrel is nicely broken in.

Fitch

Last edited by Fitch; 05-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Unread 05-02-2010, 05:44 AM
    Platinum Member

Still a pretty good group, you'll have to keep us posted once you've done the tweaking, muzzle and bedding.
    Unread 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
    Still a pretty good group, you'll have to keep us posted once you've done the tweaking, muzzle and bedding.
    Will do.

Fitch
    Unread 05-04-2010, 05:51 AM
    Silver Member

Trued the action yesterday. It was the best Savage action I've had in the lathe so far. From the factory the receiver face was only .002" out of true and cleaned up with one light cut. I've had them be as much as .011" out of true.

I indicated in and polished the chamber. While the breech end was trued in the headstock I threaded the barrel nut on it, checked it and found it to be dead nuts so I left it alone.

I also recut the crown. Typical "before" picture of crown:

Typical "after" picture of crown:

This was cut using a home ground and freshly honed HSS bit with thread cutting oil at about 250 rpm. The first try was dry at much higher speed with a carbide bit but it didn't make as crisp an edge as I wanted. My dad taught me to grind my own bits when I was 10 years old so that wasn't a problem.

The throat in this rifle looks pretty good. Typical picture of throat after 30 rounds:

It's completely symmetrical around the throat - which is less common than one might think in factory rifles. All the reamer scratches which would be horizontal in this picture are gone which indicates to me the throat is completely broken in for practical purposes. So far it has had what ever the factory shot through it, completely cleaned, 4 rounds with complete cleaning between each, 2 rounds with complete cleaning, plus those from the recent range session for a total of 30+what ever the factory shot through it. It was obviously cleaned after the range session.

I will keep the stock front pillar but I'll rough up the hole and glue it in place with epoxy. I need to make a new rear pillar. I'll do that today.

Then I'm on hold till the recoil lug and go/no-go gages get here.

FWIW: This is the home made rig I used with the Hawkeye bore scope to take the pictures:

The Camera Adaptor:

And the sled for the camera and rack to hold the barrel. The camera is so heavy I didn't want to take a chance on having it slip and destroy the very fragile borescope.

Am I having fun? Oh my yes.

Fitch

Last edited by Fitch; 05-04-2010 at 05:56 AM.