Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The new long range rifle arrived.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

The new long range rifle arrived.

It's a Savage BVSS in 7mm Rem. Mag. A picture of it ready to take to the range for load development (breakin was done on the clay pile a few hundred yards behind the house):

It weighs 13.0 lbs as shown. Recoil is not an issue at all. Very comfortable to shoot.

Until I can get some 168g Hunting VLD bullets I'm going to go ahead and work up loads for both the 150g NBT and the 160g Accubond. I have some Retumbo and some RL25 to try.

The rain should be outta here by Tuesday so I'll take it to the range Wednesday. I can hardly wait till I can take it hunting.

I found the rifle browsing GunBroker looking for a cheap 7mm Mag to be a donor action for building a heavy 7 rifle. This one is essentially the factory version of what I was planning to build for significantly less than the cost of the action and the stock for a custom build.

Sometimes I get lucky ...

Fitch

Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: The new long range rifle arrived.

make sure you let us know how it shoots however i already know how its going to shoot. You pull the trigger and it will go boom right JK seriously though all the Savages that i have are great shooters. Shot my 300wsm the other day at 550 and grouped 2.812". Hope your does the same or better. Keep us updated. What kind of scope is on it? It looks like an Osprey.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the new rig, looks great. Keep us posted on how it groups.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperjwt View Post
make sure you let us know how it shoots however i already know how its going to shoot. You pull the trigger and it will go boom right JK seriously though all the Savages that i have are great shooters. Shot my 300wsm the other day at 550 and grouped 2.812". Hope your does the same or better. Keep us updated. What kind of scope is on it? It looks like an Osprey.
You may count on updates!

Yes, it is an Osprey. Very dissapointed with that scope. I put it on the rifle for load development. It doesn't track worth beans, doesn't count revolutions of the dials, and has rather limited internal travel, but it will stay put once it's zeroed so I move it around for load development. I'm thinking I will get a Lupold MK4 M1, probably 6.5-20x50mm for it later this summer. I have 4 Leupold scopes, two purchased new, two purchased used, and they all meet expectations.

I recently bought an iPhone just to the BulletFlight ballistics software. I'm delighted with the phone and also with the BulletFlight program. I always have the phone with me so this should work out well. One feature of the BulletFlight program I like a "lot" is the ability to have all the information for all my rifles (bullet, MV, scope height, etc.) entered in it in what amounts to a rifle database. I can pick the rifle in hand off the list, enter the current weather conditions and be nicely preset for the shot. When the shot comes I only need to enter the angle (the phone supplies the angle and sometimes the weather conditions), distance, and there are the scope corrections (windage and elevation) from zero for the shot.

This is the first rifle I've had where I feel the need for portable ballistics capability. I'm looking at the Leupold scope as being good enough to execute the ballistics SW output accurately. I'd rather have a NF but I can get the Leupold for a bit more than half the cost of the NF.

Fitch
Old 04-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Good news.

Just got back from my friend the gunsmith's shop where we both did a borescope examination of the barrel and chamber on this new rifle. Guys I gotta tell ya this barrel looks "almost" perfect. Chamber looks like it's dead center, throat is beautiful, and there are no, repeat "no" chatter marks anyplace in the bore that I could reach with the bore scope with it out unscrewing the receiver.

The reason for the "almost" is there is a tiny little burr on one side of the crown. I can make that go away. I'll do that when I have it apart for bedding. I'll line it up in the lathe and take a light cut or two on the crown with a freshly honed HSS bit and convert the barrel from "almost" perfect to just plain perfect. It looks better than any other factory bore in the gun safe by a significant margin.

OK, I admit it, I'm stoked, walking on air, happy as a clam, and, honestly, releaved to see the condition of the bore. If bore condition is any indication this should be a real shooter.

I'll bed it and clean up the crown after it's first trip to the range but so far the bore exceeds my expectations by a big margin. Now the trick will be to find a load for a good bullet and only take it out for hunting so I don't wear it out.

That said, I might have to red-mist a few GH with it just for practice!

Am I happy? Oh yeah!

Fitch

PS: Range trip will be Friday if the weather prediction holds.

frw
Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like ya got a winner. Bed it, tweak the crown and keep us posted. Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Fitch,
If yours is anyting like the two I have you will not be disappointed. Both of mine, 1 used, 1 new, shot .3's with little load development. I may be able to tighten those up just haven't had the time. Happy shooting! JohnnyK.