Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New JBM range card

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

New JBM range card

A couple weeks ago, I sent in a request to JBM for an enhancement to their range cards. I use the Nightforce NP-R1 Reticle, shown below. It has 40 moa graduations (10 above the crosshair and 30 below the crosshair). I normally build my range card by repeatedly running the ballistics programs until I figure out the exact yardage that each of the graduations represent. I set my zero so the top graduation (10moa above the crosshair) is set for 100yds.

Well, JBM made it easy with their new range card. They call it a 'constant drop' range card, as it will give it's output for a specified constant drop (every 1/4moa for example). I ran it for my 338Allen mag, 7480ft elevation, 3270fps,10mph wind and a constant drop of 1 moa to match my reticle. My zero is 731yds and viola! the following range card magically appears. The little note at the top of the rangecard is from the notes field at the top of the input screen. With this range card, I can shoot out to a mile without touching the elevation knob.

Enjoy,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: New JBM range card

Looks like JBM's new card will work for mil-dot scopes too, at least for shots of up to 34 moa (10 mils ) of drop from the zero.

Thank you JBM for the card generator and AJ for stimulating it's existance.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 08-07-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
Looks like JBM's new card will work for mil-dot scopes too, at least for shots of up to 34 moa (10 mils ) of drop from the zero.

Thank you JBM for the card generator and AJ for stimulating it's existance.
It will output for Mil and will go further than 10mils, it is designed to go to 120 graduations.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
It will output for Mil and will go further than 10mils, it is designed to go to 120 graduations. AJ
The program and the table it genrates aren't the problem, The vast majority of mil-dot scopes only have ten mils of calibration on their reticles.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
The program and the table it genrates aren't the problem, The vast majority of mil-dot scopes only have ten mils of calibration on their reticles.

Oh, that makes more sense. I've looked thru mildot scopes, but never really used them.

AJ

Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

AJ,

Well by durn, I just knew you were good for somethin'

It's not often you can get what you desire implemented! Good goin'

PM your addy and I'll send, if you wish, some paper to print it on that will not run in the rain.

All ya do is print using a ink jet printer then wipe with damp cloth which fades it a bit but fading stops there.

My understanding is that if a laser printer is use with this paper that there is no fade what so ever.......

Just a tho't.

Last edited by royinidaho; 08-07-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
AJ,

Well by durn, I just knew you were good for somethin'

It's not often you can get what you desire implemented! Good goin'

20 years as an IT manager and managing development teams must have taught me something about how to ask for software changes

AJ