Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Guys Needs Advice on Rifle Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

New Guys Needs Advice on Rifle Build

I'm an avid hunter/shooter and I've been reading enough around here to have a head full of idea's about what rifle I want to build and in what caliber. But I also have a few questions.

1) Is a switch barrel rifle practical for me? I hunt coyotes from Dec- Sept. In November I hunt deer. And from May-Aug I shoot 1000 yard target events once a month (just for fun, not competitively)

I would like to build a rifle with 3 barrels, which I don't think would be too inconvenient because I would only put the "deer barrel" on (and leave it on) for the month of Nov. All winter I could keep the "coyote" barrel on. And in Summer I might swap back and forth between "coyote" and "target" once a month.

2) What is the quickest, safest, most repeatable way to switch barrels, & will it eventually cause harm to the rifle?

3) I'm thinking of going 243 WSM for coyote, 7mm SAUM for target, and 300 RUM for deer. I believe they share a common case head size. But if I wanted to use case heads of different size, say 300 Allen Express instead of 300 RUM would that be achievable without a large hastle or expense?

4) What repeater action, bottom metal, and clip should I start looking at?

5) Is an integrated recoil lug proven to be much more effective than a pinned recoil lug? ... My gut tells me to go integrated because one piece has to have advantages, but I do see SO many high end actions using pinned lugs that it makes me wonder.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: New Guys Needs Advice on Rifle Build

Savage would be the easiest and cheapest to do. I would do 22-250 for coyotes, 260 for Target and either 260 or 280 for deer.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Savage would be the easiest and cheapest to do. I would do 22-250 for coyotes, 260 for Target and either 260 or 280 for deer.
I really don't want to go that way. I had considered it, but animals tend to be large around here and shooting opportunities present themselves at virtually unlimited distances at times. I also don't fire too many competition rounds so I am not worried about the bit of extra barrel wear from the SAUM compared to say, a .284win. I really do want the larger cartriges, and if I only build one rifle in my lifetime I want it to be the best and strongest that I can afford. I'm not knocking Savage, I just had other actions in mind.....but in the end, if its the only practical way to go with a switch barrel, I may give it a shot.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Gold Member

sounds like a good plane to me the switch barrel is a good way to go and if you stay with the same bolt face you are good with a custom or Rem action
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I really don't want to go that way. I had considered it, but animals tend to be large around here and shooting opportunities present themselves at virtually unlimited distances at times. I also don't fire too many competition rounds so I am not worried about the bit of extra barrel wear from the SAUM compared to say, a .284win. I really do want the larger cartriges, and if I only build one rifle in my lifetime I want it to be the best and strongest that I can afford. I'm not knocking Savage, I just had other actions in mind.....but in the end, if its the only practical way to go with a switch barrel, I may give it a shot.
Just curious how large is large in your area?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 AM
Silver Member

sounds like a hell of alot of hassle mate... heres why...

1. Easy enough if you keep a common bolt face, but otherwise your up for a new bolt or bolthead aswell.

2. Your POI will shift everytime you switch barrels and have to rezero your scope each time.

3. Youll have to pay for not just the barrels, but also muzzle brakes if you want them, a go guage for each barrel to headspace it when you switch barrels, muliple sets of dies and brass for each caliber etc... add all this up, its alot of money. Why not just go with the single largest caliber, in your case the 300RUM, and use it to shoot everything??? You can use all the money you saved on barrels, dies, brass etc to pay for bullets and powder? Youll be miles in front financially despite your using the most expensive caliber all the time.

I would spend good money and build super accurate custom rifle in the largest caliber you might ever need, then you will never need another long range rifle for the rest of your life... i have reduced my gun collection to essentially 2 rifles that covers 99% of all the hunting i do. A big ass 375cheytac that covers all my long range hunting of ANYTHING out to some stupid distances, and a cheap 308win pump action with a 10shot mag (we not allowed semi autos here) with an Eotech sight for short range stalk hunting in thicker bush or forest type stuff... or i can pull the Eotech off the picatinny and drop a scope on it if the likely shooting distances are gonna be a bit longer, like 100-300yds etc... 2 rifles covers every type of local hunting situation i could be in and im willing to bet cost less than trying to run a 3 swtich barrel setup.

I could understand running a 2 barrel setup, like a 300RUM for hunting big stuff way out there, and maybe a 6.5mm or similar switch barrel for target/cyote use because a target rifle and LR rifle are physically very similar, both need high accuracy components and you can save a bit of money by sharing the scope, action and stock etc. But 3 just doesnt make sense...
Old 12-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

The only way to do this is with 1-gun, the 300 RUM. Reduced-Loads I'm finding are fun and accurate...

Or get a Thompson-Center single-shot Encore (Pro-Hunter) With some tricks, and / or special barrels, these are accurate as can be... This would rule-out the fat-cartridge idea though, you'd need 300 Win, .243, & .280 or some such...