Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Guy probably asking old question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New Guy probably asking old question

+1 on the 243
My first hunting rifle is a 243 (still have it), thinking back I can only remember one deer I had to shoot 2x with it, it's started both my kids out as well with that rifle and the only time they needed a 2nd shot has been because the 1st was bad. Never really thought about it much but that little 243 has racked up the highest percentage of one shot kills of any rifle I own, with the 270 following close behind. 257roberts,25-06 wouldn't be a bad pick either.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe