Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

IDK that last shot at 700 was on the left side of the plate...better break it in some more!!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Every time I see that break in video I bust a gut laughing.

Back on topic, personally I would not worry about the break in of that rifle.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
I am betting he will have no issues.
Here is an instructional video for his next rifle
Proper Barrel Break-in Procedure - YouTube
sure takes out all the worries about dinging your pipe up....
Old 10-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

You would think that rifle would lose its zero being thrown around like that.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny2 View Post
You would think that rifle would lose its zero being thrown around like that.
A rifle that wouldn't loose its zero and still shoot tight groups after that treatment would be worth it weight in gold!
I get a little bent outa shape if I even put a light scratch on most of mine though.

Original Question:

Many factory barrels don't see any break in or 1st time cleaning. I am a believer in 1st and initial cleaning just for the safety factor (never shoot with a plugged bore), but lots of factory guns end up shooting good without doing the 1 shot clean routine.

The following were shot from factory tubes without any "break in procedure".
Just cleaned once, shot and cleaned again after every 20 to 50 rounds. Not a whole lot of cleaning, but cleaned down to bare metal when they were cleaned.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!-22-250-vssf-100yds.jpg   New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!-204-300yds.jpg  

New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!-ruger-77-220-swift.jpg   New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!-25-06-115-nosler.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

This a good thread and truth be told as SBruce makes clear by example, I am more afraid of screwing things up by damaging something by over cleaning, solvent into bedding, crown damage, ect....

And I am sure the manufacturers of factory guns know some people are going shoot without cleaning so they are going to go out of their way to make sure no one gets hurt and their product performs.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Bronze Member

Those are some nice groups SBruce. I was worried about the first cleaning/safety factor the most. Maybe there is too much emphasis put into break-in. I probably clean my barrel too much. I will use solvent-brush-patches every 30-40 rounds. Sometimes I will fire a couple of rounds and put it away then when I bring it out the next time, I pull a bore snake through it a few times if it hasn't been a total of 30-40 rounds. I remember when I picked up my barrel from Rock Creek I asked what they thought about break-in. He said just clean it once in a while and just shoot it. I looked at it as I spent good money on this barrel, I wanted the best from it and for it to last. Maybe I should slow down on the cleaning.