Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Bronze Member

New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

Hi all,
I have a fellow employee that was excited about his new gun purchase.
He bought a Savage model 16 package deal with scope in .243 for this years deer season.
He mentioned he wanted a .243 because the old 06 is too much for him, he is pushing 70 years.
I asked him how he was going to break it in, he wasn't sure. then he said his son has lots of guns and knew what to do. I told him to make sure that they at least clean the barrel once before they shoot it to get the extra oil and debris out from manufacturing process. I also mentioned the shoot one clean for the first 5 or so. Well he came to work and told me they went out and sighted the gun in. I asked how the break-in went. His son told him that there was no need and they didn't even clean it before the first shot. I wonder if that barrel will have problems down the road.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Gun......Shot without cleaning!!

one of the first rifles that I bought was a savage .223 the only other previous guns I had was a 12ga. and a 22lr. didn't clean it break it in or anything...just didn't know.

When I learned about break in processes I worried about it.

I have over 500 rds down it and its still shooting just over a half inch at 100. I'm ok with that.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

you know i have known alot of old timers that fill the same way. that there is no need to brake in the barrel and many of there guns are some real shooters, but they dont shoot them much to so if you are just going to buy a gun site it in and then shoot maybe two shots a year for the rest of its life then a brake in might not be worth it. ;-}

but for me i have close to 300 rounds down my newist rifle in the last 6 mounts, i know thats not many for some but its more than some rifles ever see .

heck my grandad last 270 he had for 40 years and i know it didnt have more than 4 boxes of shells through it
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Hell I always run a box or so through 'em after a few patches to clean out the proof round. I sight 'em in and then clean them. I'll use a lighter load if I don't have any loaded and then do load work up. If I have some loaded already for another rifle they go out. Playing the shoot, clean game after every shot is foolish. The proof was run down with minimal cleaning, if any. Clean that crap out and you've got a shot barrel ready to go. Just don't let it get filthy before it has a few hundred on it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

I'm thinking what was previously mentioned that he will only shoot a few rounds a year through it. I hope it will be a good gun for him, He is a nice guy.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

I am betting he will have no issues.
Here is an instructional video for his next rifle
Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
I am betting he will have no issues.
Here is an instructional video for his next rifle
Proper Barrel Break-in Procedure - YouTube
lmao "it's got a bull barrel on it" "lots of rifle come with a cow barrel, you always want a bull barrel" priceless!!!!!!!
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe