Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new gun or add to my rem switch barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

new gun or add to my rem switch barrel?

So after 2 surgeries I have decided its time to part with my race bike and use the $ for something to fill in the unfillable void.
so my thoughts were, do I buy/build a custom gun in .260 or another 6.5 cal? ( im wanting more of a long range setup and want to shoot 140gn VLD's.) Or do I buy another barrel and use my switch barrel remington I already have? The remington switch barrel is 22-250 & .243 cals. I only use the .243 as my Leupold Vx3 6.5-20x40 has a load matched turret. (95gn VLD's @3136fps) The smith work on the gun was done by Gordy Gritters and the trigger js set at 1.5lbs and breaks like glass. It has a hs precision stock, short action detachable box magazine and both barrels are heavy contours.
Also considering buyin a NF scope for my remington and getting a new barrel for it in one of the 6.5 cals. What do you guys think?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new gun or add to my rem switch barrel?

Add to your switch-barrel and chamber it for 6.5 SS (Sherman Short). Do a search for it here on the forum.

Or you could build a 6.5 Sherman which uses .270 Win brass to form for a long action.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Add to your switch-barrel and chamber it for 6.5 SS (Sherman Short). Do a search for it here on the forum.

Or you could build a 6.5 Sherman which uses .270 Win brass to form for a long action.
Problem with the 6.5 sherman is my switch barrel is a short action.
any idea of the approximate cost to add to the switch barrel would be after the smith work?
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

6.5 SS would work, but you'd have to have a short-action magnum bolt...

I haven't owned a 6.5 SS or a 6.5 Sherman...So I have no idea. I know for the 6.5 Sherman you use regular old .270 Win brass to fire-form it. I think Whidden makes the dies for it, and PTG makes the reamer.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

I would go 6.5 WSM, new bolt from PT&G and off the shelf dies with 270 WSM Norma brass.