Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New to the game

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New to the game

Once you pick you weapon you really need to spend time shooting at the ranges from the prositions you expect to face while hunting. Elevation is no problem if you have a range finder and all the ballistics programs there are. Reading the wind only comes from experience and that is where you will have to really practice at those longer ranges. + or - a few MPH on your wind can mean the difference in dead on the spot vitals hit and a long track or lost animal with a gut shot at those long ranges. In the words of Dirty Harry "A man has got to know his limitations."
Old 06-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Practice- exactly why I want to get it now for next spring. My follow up post will eventually be on books/schools to learn how to do it right.

Looked at the two options mentioned, how does the a-bolt long range compare to these? Although I like the concept of building one I think your advice to buy one of the options mentioned might be better for me.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msax80 View Post
Practice- exactly why I want to get it now for next spring. My follow up post will eventually be on books/schools to learn how to do it right.

Looked at the two options mentioned, how does the a-bolt long range compare to these? Although I like the concept of building one I think your advice to buy one of the options mentioned might be better for me.
Browning makes a nice rifle. Only trouble is that there are not many aftermarket parts for it. Whereas there are lots of Savage parts and TONS of Rem700 parts and accessories out there to be had.

As for some reading, check out this forum and read all the 'stickys' at the top of the page.

The Basics, Starting Out - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

It will be hard to beat the Savage. If down the road you want to change calibers all you have to do is purchase a barrel that is already threaded and chambered and with a vice and barrel nut wrench you can change the barrel out in less than 15 minutes yourself. You really don't need head space gauges. Take a FL sized case put a couple pieces of scotch tape on the base of it put it in the chamber screw the barrel in until it stops and tighten up the barrel nut. You can also get new bolt heads to change from mag down to 223 size. Basically the Savage is the big boys tinker toy set. I forgot to mention they really shoot well.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Good points on the savage. I also had thought of a ruger no 1, is that something to consider?
I am leaning towards the savage.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msax80 View Post
Good points on the savage. I also had thought of a ruger no 1, is that something to consider?
I am leaning towards the savage.
Ruger #1 is a nice rifle but few aftermarket parts and accessories. it is also a dedicated single shot rifle. Whereas with a bolt action, you have the choice of making it a single or a repeater.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Ok leaning towards savage long range hunter mentioned above or a semi custom savage build over time.
Found a savage 111 30-06 for over $400. Is this a good option?

I could put a nice scope on then go from there. Thoughts?