Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New To Forum - Need Long Range Rifle Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Silver Member

New To Forum - Need Long Range Rifle Advice

Hello everyone, I am Dave from Texas and am new to this forum. I have been shooting, hunting and reloading for about 30 years, but have recently decided to dip my foot into the long range hunting/shooting pool.

I would like to build a decent long range rifle, primarily for targets but also the occasional long range hunt. By long range I mean 600-1000 yards. I am fortunate to have a new range that goes out to 1000 yards within 30 minutes of my home.

As most folks nowadays I am on a pretty tight budget so am hoping to build the rifle on a less expensive platform. I am thinking Savage at this time due to the great things I have heard about it, but not sure. Also thinking about the .300WSM, but again, not sure.

I would love to get your recommendations on action mfg./model, barrel, optics, etc., as well as calibers. Even wildcats are a consideration because I handload.

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to learning alot from you guys.

Dave
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: New To Forum - Need Long Range Rifle Advice

Welcome. Maybe a good start for your reading: Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget
Old 10-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Silver Member

Thanks, I read that post. Lots of good info in there. That is one of the places I read about Savage as a consideration.

However, I am not sure which Savage action to look for as there seem to be a bunch of different models. I dont see any that exactly match what is in that article. Can someone explain which Savage action would be best to start with? Are they all basically the same?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
Thanks, I read that post. Lots of good info in there. That is one of the places I read about Savage as a consideration.

However, I am not sure which Savage action to look for as there seem to be a bunch of different models. I dont see any that exactly match what is in that article. Can someone explain which Savage action would be best to start with? Are they all basically the same?
I'd go with the LRPV action as a start. The solid top makes for a much more ridgid action. Make sure you get the one with the Accustock. Secondly, I'd send the gun to Sharp Shooter and have them install the best trigger assembly. Right after that your way ahead of the game. But you could also get the long range hunter and do the samething, but with an even more powerfull cartridge. What caliber interests you the most?
gary
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORCHRIDER View Post

The Savage Model 12 would be a good start, the LPV ( Low Profile Varmint ) or as mentioned the LRPV ( Long Range Precision Vartminter ) both are going to be in 12-13 pound range all up ready to shoot.
I shoot a LPV 300WSM that has been transplanted in to a BVSS stock . Very nice gun ,easy on the shoulder due to the weight , easy to reload for , accurate, and long barrel life. The down side is you don't want to have to pack it for very long . The weather warrior series is a lighter version available with on/off break I believe.

Mike
Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
What caliber interests you the most?
gary
Thanks Mike,

Thanks Gary,

I am leaning towards a 6.5 (Maybe 6.5x284) or one of the .30's (Maybe .300WSM). Anything else I should consider? Recommendations?

Last edited by TORCHRIDER; 10-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the Forum!

There's lots and lots of discussion about caliber choices on this forum. The start of the conversation is usually - what do you plan to hunt/shoot? In general, 300wsm is a great choice. But you would be undergunned for shooting elk at 1k. For that, you need to consider the ultra-magnums.

One other thing to consider is configuration. Do you want a carry-rifle? or a dedicated long range rig?

I have both...

My 260 by MCR

My 280 - Updated!

I am also working on a 300RUM that will be very similar to the 260.