Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

New Coyote Rifle

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 16
New Coyote Rifle

I am looking to get a new predator rifle; I want it to be light, short and accurate. I found three I like, the Remington Model Seven Predator, the Savage Model 10 Predator, and the Thompson Center Venture Predator.

All three of these guns weigh around 7 pounds, sport 22 inch fluted barrels, and come in the two calibers I am considering, 22-250 Remington and .223 Remington.

I don't like the Remington in 22-250 since it has a 1:14 twist, kind of limits my bullet weights, but the .223 has a 1:9 twist which I like. The Savage has a 1:12 for the 22-250, not too bad, and also a 1:9 for the .223. The TC has a 1:12 for both; don't care for the .223 with the 1:12 twist, and a MOA accuracy guarantee.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these rifles, and if so what sort of accuracy should/can be expected from any of these rifles out of the box?

Thanks for any input,

chav0_12
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:52 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 560
Re: New Coyote Rifle

all are good rifles. You will find more after market options for the Rem, and Iíll bet you a $100 right now your rifle wont stay stock if your on this site. Savage produces some good stuff; however there are more working parts in the bolt alone then my whole model 70 which scares me a little bit. cant go wrong with a 22-250 on yotes but the same can be said with a .223 If you donít hand load high volume shooting can get $$ with a 22-250. In any case putting your rifle to a lot of paper is the best way to learn how to manage a long shot with either round. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,626
Re: New Coyote Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav0_12 View Post
I am looking to get a new predator rifle; I want it to be light, short and accurate. I found three I like, the Remington Model Seven Predator, the Savage Model 10 Predator, and the Thompson Center Venture Predator.

All three of these guns weigh around 7 pounds, sport 22 inch fluted barrels, and come in the two calibers I am considering, 22-250 Remington and .223 Remington.

I don't like the Remington in 22-250 since it has a 1:14 twist, kind of limits my bullet weights, but the .223 has a 1:9 twist which I like. The Savage has a 1:12 for the 22-250, not too bad, and also a 1:9 for the .223. The TC has a 1:12 for both; don't care for the .223 with the 1:12 twist, and a MOA accuracy guarantee.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these rifles, and if so what sort of accuracy should/can be expected from any of these rifles out of the box?

Thanks for any input,

chav0_12
you can make a 22-250 work well with a 22" barrel length, but you'll need faster powders. The 1:12 twist is very good in that caliber. The 1:12 twist in a .223 would be great! This allows you to use some of the longer .223 bullets, but still will be touchey for the 53 grain Vmax (.29 B/C). It will shoot the 55 grain Nosler BT as well as the 55 VMax just fine. Should do OK with the 60 grain Nosler partition as well, but once again will be close. The 1:9 twist will do it all in a .223 if that matters. I use a 1:14 twist 20" barrel in .223, and has no problems with the 55 grain VMax (3250fps). Myself, I'd get the .223 in the 1:9 twist, and never look back
gary
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 16
Re: New Coyote Rifle

Thanks guys. I was thinking the .223 with the 1:9 would be the best for what I want.

I have a Wetherby Vanguard in 22-250 with 1:14 right now, and it likes the 45 gr Nosler BT with Varget but was thinking about getting it rebarreled for a faster twist rate.

I want to be able to shoot the heavier bullets out of whatever I get, I was thinking at least 60 gr, and don't think any of these 22-250's will stabalize anything heavier very well. With that being said it kinda narrows my options to the Savage and the Remington in 223.

So really what I want to know is how well does the Model 7 and the Model 10 shoot? I really want a rifle that I can get about 1/2 MOA with. So what sort of groups can I get right out of the box with these?

Thanks again,

Chav0_12
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 560
Re: New Coyote Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav0_12 View Post
Thanks guys. I was thinking the .223 with the 1:9 would be the best for what I want.

I have a Wetherby Vanguard in 22-250 with 1:14 right now, and it likes the 45 gr Nosler BT with Varget but was thinking about getting it rebarreled for a faster twist rate.

I want to be able to shoot the heavier bullets out of whatever I get, I was thinking at least 60 gr, and don't think any of these 22-250's will stabalize anything heavier very well. With that being said it kinda narrows my options to the Savage and the Remington in 223.

So really what I want to know is how well does the Model 7 and the Model 10 shoot? I really want a rifle that I can get about 1/2 MOA with. So what sort of groups can I get right out of the box with these?

Thanks again,

Chav0_12
Sounds like you may be looking along the lines of a dedicated coyote rifle since you already have a “varmint” rig. If this is the case…. .243 would be my pick. I have a friend who owns the savage 10 Predator combo in .243. I would call it “hunting accurate” with the right ammo it is a MOA rifle all day long... 1/2 and under probably not, 3/4, I would say yes. I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on a yote or deer with it…save the light, fast shooting .22 for PD’s I have only read articles and reviews online about the model seven, all seem to tote it as a good rifle.
Heck, if you reload I would even consider the savage 110 predator in the 6.5x284…same price!

If you want 1/2 MOA. I think a savage would get you closer then a model seven. But I think a Model 700 would be better. (after market/smith friendly) I have 3 guys I shoot with who have sps varmint rigs and do very well with them.

Again...something in a 6mm, .25 or 6.5mm would be my choice for a dedicated coyote rig. Maybe that's why I'm having a 6-06 built as we speak

Last edited by strombeckj; 01-09-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,626
Re: New Coyote Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav0_12 View Post
Thanks guys. I was thinking the .223 with the 1:9 would be the best for what I want.

I have a Wetherby Vanguard in 22-250 with 1:14 right now, and it likes the 45 gr Nosler BT with Varget but was thinking about getting it rebarreled for a faster twist rate.

I want to be able to shoot the heavier bullets out of whatever I get, I was thinking at least 60 gr, and don't think any of these 22-250's will stabalize anything heavier very well. With that being said it kinda narrows my options to the Savage and the Remington in 223.

So really what I want to know is how well does the Model 7 and the Model 10 shoot? I really want a rifle that I can get about 1/2 MOA with. So what sort of groups can I get right out of the box with these?

Thanks again,

Chav0_12
a couple years back I played with the Hornaday 60 grain bullet a little bit in a 1:12 twist gun. I was shooting in the mid sixes, but never really tried working up a load for accuracey. Later I learn that the Nosler Partition bullet is a little shorter, and this maybe the ticket in a 1:12 twist gun
gary
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Colorado, Front Range
Posts: 560
Re: New Coyote Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
a couple years back I played with the Hornaday 60 grain bullet a little bit in a 1:12 twist gun. I was shooting in the mid sixes, but never really tried working up a load for accuracey. Later I learn that the Nosler Partition bullet is a little shorter, and this maybe the ticket in a 1:12 twist gun
gary
Hodgdon seems to think a 60 V-Max will fly out a 1:14 with their superperformance...max load in 43.0C for 3738.

I would like to see that!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: New Coyote Rifle
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RRA Coyote Rifle/Carbine yote doctor AR15/10 Rifles 7 03-28-2011 12:11 PM
.22 Cal Coyote Rifle Help deerslayer1808 Member Introductions 0 02-17-2011 05:23 PM
New and First Coyote Rifle! matt_3479 Varmint Hunting 5 08-19-2010 03:10 PM
6mm Coyote Rifle Timberbeast7 Long Range Hunting & Shooting 35 08-19-2009 08:55 AM
new ssg coyote rifle tjonh2001 Gun Photos 8 12-13-2008 07:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC