Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New and confused (so many choices)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

New and confused (so many choices)

I am looking to build an all around bad ass hunting rifle. capable of long range shooting as well as every day hunting. Hogs to elk. What i have come up with so far is 30-378 weatherby, 30 Cody express. Do you guys know off something else that could do what i want? I have a gunsmith down the road so i am good there. I really want to shoot a wildcat round.

thanks
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: New and confused (so many choices)

I hunt long range with everything from a 6-284 win to a 338 lapua improved.
It all depends how bad ass you want to be.
The big 30's do very well. I'm not familiar with the 30 Cody, though.

The big 7's have always interested me as well. I've shot them all from 7wsm to 7 RUM and have had great results.

The probelm I have is that once I build one, I want a different one.

If I build something big like the 338 that hits hard and get it working well, then I want something fast and flat with less recoil, like the 6-284. Then I want something fast that hits a little harder so I try the 7rum.
I am the ultimate tinkerer.

Now I'm building something more practical - a 7-300win AI.

If you don't care about barrel life, weight , recoil, blast etc. Just build a rifle that will get the ballistics you want with the bullet you want and have fun with it! Then make sure it is very well put together for ultimate accuracy.
I really like the 338 for elk though, and that's why I built it.
Sometimes you will built a hotrod powerhouse and it will only shoot accurately at more mundane velocities.
I always hate to see guys with 300RUM's only shooting at 300wsm velocities because that is the only accurate load they found. It is smart of them but what a waste of powder and barrel life and recoil and rifle weight.
After all, you are not getting married to it and can divorce it without getting taken to the cleaners.
What I have found is that all of these cartridges will work great-it all depends what gets you
psyched!
Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Gold Member

I agree with RockZ, build whatever trips your trigger. However, if you are planning on carrying the rifle any distance or up any mountains just remember: Ounces = Pounds, Pounds = Pain.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with both so far. The 338-378 wby is a better choice than the 30-378 wby because of much longer barrel life. I haven't built a 30-378 in ten years because the barrels shoot out quick. That is why I quit doing big 30's and went with the big 338's. Plus the big 338's just deliver much more noticable crushing to the ground effect than the smaller calibers. I have all kinds and shoot all of them regularly. With all the new specialty long range custom bullets coming out in 375 caliber the 378 wby now may be the best of the lot for extreme long range. Check out the A-Square 338 Excalibur for a big 338 without a belt that has more case capacity than the 338-378 wby or imp Kahn. Brass is now easily available. That is about as bad as you can get over the counter and I don't know of a wildcat that can beat it in a hunting weight rifle.

The 338 Norma is doing well at long range with a 24-26 inch barrel. This would make you a lighter weight hunting rifle. Lots of choices, all are accurate.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Bronze Member

So if one doesn't have the funds to have a custom rifle built, what in your opinions would be the best factory rifle in the 338?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

338 RUM. I have one in a 700 remington stainless and it shoots plenty accurate enough to take elk at 1000 yards. I took my elk last year at well over 700 yards with it. At Cabelas you can get a virtually like new 338-378 wby accumark for 1200-1300 dollars and it is the best you can do for the price. Most are extremely accurate and easily able to take animals at long range. Over the counter it is probably the fastest you can get and as accurate as any. I have quite a few wby mk 5's that are incredibly accurate.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

You really need to tell us how much you can spend. There are "factory" rifles costing more than most custom-builds & Customs that are reasonably priced.

A .338 can mean a lot of things, from .338 Win (that was designed to be the optimum Alaska chambering) to the Lapua. Rifles in .338 Win are reasonably priced & available used. Sendero rifles in .338 Rum are available if you look around & they are a good factory rifle once you replace the trigger. Rifles in .338 Lapua are long range shooters but they are also heavy, expensive, and ammunition is VERY expensive.

If you are talking about a .338 for a carry rifle, I recommend the .338 Win mag. Virtually every gun company has chambered a rifle in .338 Win.